The Airbus A321LR now flying from Washington Dulles for the first time
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TAP Air Portugal has begun flying the Airbus A321LR to Washington Dulles, the first of Airbus’ new long-range narrow-body to land in the nation’s capital.
The Star Alliance carrier began flying the A321LR on its flight between Lisbon (LIS) and Dulles (IAD) on Monday. The aircraft has 14 lie-flat business class and 145 economy seats.
— micah (@GoesByMicah) October 7, 2019
The A321LR replaced a larger Airbus A330-200 between Lisbon and Washington. The smaller aircraft allows TAP to tailor capacity to lower demand in the winter without suspending the route on a seasonal basis.
“The reach and flexibility of [the A321LR] allows us to increase our connections between the U.S. and Portugal, as we’ve done from Porto to Newark and now between Lisbon and Washington Dulles,” said Antonoaldo Neves, executive president of TAP, in a statement.
The airline flies to Washington Dulles five-times weekly, and plans to increase service to daily next June.
For Washington Dulles, TAP’s introduction of the aircraft marks the first time the A321LR has been put into regularly schedule service at the airport.
The long-range variant of the A321neo, the A321LR is about to become a lot more common at U.S. airports. In addition to TAP, Aer Lingus flies it to Hartford (BDL) and plans to fly it to Boston Logan (BOS), Newark (EWR), New York John F. Kennedy (JFK), Philadelphia (PHL) and Washington Dulles by early next year, according to Diio by Cirium schedules.
Featured imaged courtesy of TAP.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees