The Airbus A321LR now flying from Washington Dulles for the first time
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TAP Air Portugal has begun flying the Airbus A321LR to Washington Dulles, the first of Airbus’ new long-range narrow-body to land in the nation’s capital.
The Star Alliance carrier began flying the A321LR on its flight between Lisbon (LIS) and Dulles (IAD) on Monday. The aircraft has 14 lie-flat business class and 145 economy seats.
— micah (@GoesByMicah) October 7, 2019
The A321LR replaced a larger Airbus A330-200 between Lisbon and Washington. The smaller aircraft allows TAP to tailor capacity to lower demand in the winter without suspending the route on a seasonal basis.
“The reach and flexibility of [the A321LR] allows us to increase our connections between the U.S. and Portugal, as we’ve done from Porto to Newark and now between Lisbon and Washington Dulles,” said Antonoaldo Neves, executive president of TAP, in a statement.
The airline flies to Washington Dulles five-times weekly, and plans to increase service to daily next June.
For Washington Dulles, TAP’s introduction of the aircraft marks the first time the A321LR has been put into regularly schedule service at the airport.
The long-range variant of the A321neo, the A321LR is about to become a lot more common at U.S. airports. In addition to TAP, Aer Lingus flies it to Hartford (BDL) and plans to fly it to Boston Logan (BOS), Newark (EWR), New York John F. Kennedy (JFK), Philadelphia (PHL) and Washington Dulles by early next year, according to Diio by Cirium schedules.
Featured imaged courtesy of TAP.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.