Winter storm could potentially snarl Thanksgiving travel, flight waivers issued
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The National Weather Service is predicting heavy snowfall in and around Denver Monday night into Tuesday, and the storm is likely to disrupt travel for those starting their Thanksgiving weekend a little early.
The storm is expected to dump about a foot of snow in the Denver area, with blizzard conditions predicted to make travel difficult or impossible on Tuesday morning.
Ahead of the weather, United Airlines, Southwest Airlines and Frontier Airlines have all issued waivers for passengers whose travel may be affected.
United is waiving change fees and fare differences for passengers booked to travel through Denver on Nov. 26. Those passengers must have booked their tickets by Nov. 22 and their new flights must take place by Nov. 29.
Southwest’s policy covers travelers planning to transit through Denver on Nov. 25 or 26. The airline is warning that flights to the city may be disrupted, diverted or canceled, and affected travelers can rebook or travel standby using the same city pairs within 14 days of their original booking.
Frontier is allowing any passengers traveling through Denver or Colorado Springs, Colorado on Nov. 26 to rebook their itinerary once, so long as the original ticket was purchased on or by Nov. 25 and the new flights take place by Dec. 18. The airline has also advised customers whose flights are canceled that they may apply for a refund.
If your travel plans this week involve Colorado, make sure to keep in touch with your carrier about possible disruptions and check out TPG’s guide for what to do in the event of a flight disruption.
Featured photo by Joe Amon/The Denver Post via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees