Thank You for Being a Friend: ‘Golden Girls’ Cruise to Set Sail in 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The TV show that won four Golden Globe Awards and more than a dozen Emmys is back, but not on your television.
More than 25 years after signing off the air, the Golden Girls are set to take to the sea. In February 2020, the Celebrity Infinity cruise liner will host a five-day themed voyage centered on iconic best friends Rose, Blanche, Dorothy and Sophia. Appropriately, it will leave from the girls’ hometown of Miami, Florida.
The list of onboard activities is very much on brand, including a Rusty Anchor Karaoke Party, plenty of Golden Girls Trivia and cheesecake. Plus, thanks to a costume contest, there will be hundreds of people dressed up in Golden Girls garb. One of the organizers, Chad Kampe, noted in a recent interview that in addition to the contest, there will also be a special costume dinner. As the article confirms, you really haven’t lived until you’ve seen 200-300 people dressed up in Golden Girls garb.
And, of course, a Golden Girls cruise wouldn’t be complete without a stop in St. Olaf, Minnesota, the fictional hometown of Rose Nyland, who was played by Betty White. Onboard, guests will enjoy the St. Olaf Dance Party and a game of Ugel and Flugel, Rose’s version of tag from her hometown.
The price of the cruise is on par with other five-day cruises departing out of Florida. A balcony room is going for about $1,000 per person, based on double occupancy. Other five-day cruises on the Celebrity Infinity in the same time period are a bit cheaper, weighing in at about $900 per person, all-in. But, the organizer’s website for the Golden Girls cruise has a promotion that runs through March 5, 2019, where folks who book early receive a $300 onboard credit, a free Classic Alcohol package and a choice of prepaid gratuities or free Wi-Fi.
The cruise is scheduled to leave Miami on Feb. 24, 2020, with stops in Key West and Cozumel along with some time at sea.
Will you be onboard?
Featured photo by ABC Photo Archives/ABC via Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.