This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Thai Airways passenger was charged an extra fee at the airline’s check-in counter for having a last name that was too long to fit in the online booking platform.
The unidentified passenger was charged a change fee when the name on his boarding pass did not match the name on his passport. The flyer told the Bangkok Post on Saturday it was because Thai‘s internet booking platform only allotted 25 characters for a passenger’s last name, and his was much longer.
The airline reimbursed the customer for the fee and said it’s working on fixing the problem on its website. “We apologise for the inconvenience since the internet booking system allows up to 25 characters each for the first name and family name when booking a ticket,” Thai Airways Acting Executive Vice President Wiwat Piyawiroj posted on the airline’s Facebook.
TPG readers have had similar travel snags, including one who lost 20,000 points when the name on his passport and boarding pass didn’t match after he forgot to include his middle name in the booking.
When you book airfare, airlines recommend using your full name as it appears on your government-issued photo ID. That’s true for both domestic and international itineraries — the TSA won’t consistently hassle you over middle names or initials, but it’s best to include them. Ultimately, inputting your complete name is far easier than having to rebook or update your ticket.
Featured image by SOPA Images / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees