Thai Airways Boeing 747 Skids off Runway During Heavy Rain
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Thai Airways Boeing 747 skidded off the runway upon landing at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok on Monday night.
Thai Airways Flight 679, which had traveled from Guangzhou, China (CAN) to Bangkok (BKK), landed in heavy rain at approximately 10:48pm local time. Upon touching down, the Boeing 747-400 skidded off the runway and in to a patch of grass.
Once the aircraft came to a stop, slides were deployed and passengers and crew were evacuated and transported to the airport’s terminal. According to Pratana Patanasiri, Thai’s vice president for aviation safety, passengers were served food and beverages while waiting in the terminal for their baggage.
The aircraft was carrying 97 passengers and 18 crew, according to Patanasiri. No one was injured in the incident.
According to the Bangkok Post, Runway 19R was blocked, pending the removal of the aircraft. BKK’s deputy director said that the runway would reopen later on Tuesday.
The aircraft involved in the incident, a Boeing 747-400 (registration HS-TGF) is 15 years old, according to PlaneSpotters.net. Having been delivered to Thai in October 2003, it was reconfigured in September 2013 and has remained with Thai ever since. The extent of the damage to the 744, if anything, is unknown at this time.
Featured image courtesy of PlanesOfLegend via Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees