Thai Airways Boeing 747 Skids off Runway During Heavy Rain
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Thai Airways Boeing 747 skidded off the runway upon landing at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok on Monday night.
Thai Airways Flight 679, which had traveled from Guangzhou, China (CAN) to Bangkok (BKK), landed in heavy rain at approximately 10:48pm local time. Upon touching down, the Boeing 747-400 skidded off the runway and in to a patch of grass.
Once the aircraft came to a stop, slides were deployed and passengers and crew were evacuated and transported to the airport’s terminal. According to Pratana Patanasiri, Thai’s vice president for aviation safety, passengers were served food and beverages while waiting in the terminal for their baggage.
The aircraft was carrying 97 passengers and 18 crew, according to Patanasiri. No one was injured in the incident.
According to the Bangkok Post, Runway 19R was blocked, pending the removal of the aircraft. BKK’s deputy director said that the runway would reopen later on Tuesday.
The aircraft involved in the incident, a Boeing 747-400 (registration HS-TGF) is 15 years old, according to PlaneSpotters.net. Having been delivered to Thai in October 2003, it was reconfigured in September 2013 and has remained with Thai ever since. The extent of the damage to the 744, if anything, is unknown at this time.
Featured image courtesy of PlanesOfLegend via Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.