Travel to Texas This Spring to See Record Numbers of Monarch Butterflies
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Texas could see around 300 million monarch butterflies this spring following what Travel + Leisure described as, “The biggest wildflower bloom in a decade.” So if you were considering a trip to Texas this spring, you have yet another reason to go.
Every spring, bluebonnets bloom throughout central Texas, especially in Hill Country, a picturesque region outside of Austin that’s also known for its vineyards. According to Southern Living, “The region experienced an above average rainfall this winter, which could lead to a megabloom.” The megabloom, in turn, is expected to attract a record numbers of butterflies during their migration from Mexico to Canada.
“Figures show the highest number of hectares covered since at least 2006,” Craig Wilson, director of the USDA Future Scientists Program and senior research associate in the Center for Mathematics and Science Education at Texas A&M, told Texas A&M Today. “Monarch numbers are usually measured in hectares, so that means about 15 acres are being used for their breeding grounds in northern Mexico. That’s a really positive sign, especially since their numbers have been down in recent years.”
According to Wilson, milkweed is essential for monarch butterflies, and luckily it’s in plentiful supply in central Texas. He’s encouraging Texas residents to plant milkweed in their gardens now.
Hoping to see the wildflowers while they’re in bloom? Southern Living reports that the best place to see them is in Big Bend National Park, which is in the western part of the state on the Mexican border.
Just don’t be one of those tourists behaving badly who caused the closure of Lake Eslinor, California during the poppy superbloom. If you go, be sure to respect the natural environment and don’t trample the flowers — no matter how badly you want that perfect Instagram shot.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.