Teen Tries to Steal Airline Jet to Go to Concert, Makes It Into Cockpit
Rap superfan Zemarcuis Scott of Texarkana, Arkansas, pleaded guilty on Thursday for attempting to steal an airplane to go to a rap concert.
Scott was spotted by airport security personnel on July 4 when they noticed the 18-year-old jump a fence onto the Texarkana Regional Airport (TXK) tarmac at 2:30am. He was trying to snag a plane to see rapper Famous Dex perform in Illinois — a plan he thought about for nearly a month, he told investigators. He had been watching the plane he attempted to steal since 10pm the previous day.
The teenager had made it into the pilot’s seat of the American Eagle twin-engine jet’s cockpit before authorities stopped him.
Local police arrived on the scene soon after airport security saw him jump the fence and promptly arrested him on charges of commercial burglary and attempted theft of property. Not unlike the bizarre and tragic story of the 29-year old baggage handler that stole a Horizon Air plane back in August, Scott had no previous experience flying. He told investigators that he “wasn’t concerned” about his lack of pilot training and that he believed flying the plane could be simply accomplished by “pulling levers and pushing buttons.”
Scott was sentenced with a five-year term of felony probation for each charge to run concurrently, was fined $1,000 and must participate in any mental health treatment deemed necessary by the probation department. He is also banned from TXK premises during his probation.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.