Teen Tries to Steal Airline Jet to Go to Concert, Makes It Into Cockpit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Rap superfan Zemarcuis Scott of Texarkana, Arkansas, pleaded guilty on Thursday for attempting to steal an airplane to go to a rap concert.
Scott was spotted by airport security personnel on July 4 when they noticed the 18-year-old jump a fence onto the Texarkana Regional Airport (TXK) tarmac at 2:30am. He was trying to snag a plane to see rapper Famous Dex perform in Illinois — a plan he thought about for nearly a month, he told investigators. He had been watching the plane he attempted to steal since 10pm the previous day.
The teenager had made it into the pilot’s seat of the American Eagle twin-engine jet’s cockpit before authorities stopped him.
Local police arrived on the scene soon after airport security saw him jump the fence and promptly arrested him on charges of commercial burglary and attempted theft of property. Not unlike the bizarre and tragic story of the 29-year old baggage handler that stole a Horizon Air plane back in August, Scott had no previous experience flying. He told investigators that he “wasn’t concerned” about his lack of pilot training and that he believed flying the plane could be simply accomplished by “pulling levers and pushing buttons.”
Scott was sentenced with a five-year term of felony probation for each charge to run concurrently, was fined $1,000 and must participate in any mental health treatment deemed necessary by the probation department. He is also banned from TXK premises during his probation.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees