Teen Tries to Steal Airline Jet to Go to Concert, Makes It Into Cockpit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Rap superfan Zemarcuis Scott of Texarkana, Arkansas, pleaded guilty on Thursday for attempting to steal an airplane to go to a rap concert.
Scott was spotted by airport security personnel on July 4 when they noticed the 18-year-old jump a fence onto the Texarkana Regional Airport (TXK) tarmac at 2:30am. He was trying to snag a plane to see rapper Famous Dex perform in Illinois — a plan he thought about for nearly a month, he told investigators. He had been watching the plane he attempted to steal since 10pm the previous day.
The teenager had made it into the pilot’s seat of the American Eagle twin-engine jet’s cockpit before authorities stopped him.
Local police arrived on the scene soon after airport security saw him jump the fence and promptly arrested him on charges of commercial burglary and attempted theft of property. Not unlike the bizarre and tragic story of the 29-year old baggage handler that stole a Horizon Air plane back in August, Scott had no previous experience flying. He told investigators that he “wasn’t concerned” about his lack of pilot training and that he believed flying the plane could be simply accomplished by “pulling levers and pushing buttons.”
Scott was sentenced with a five-year term of felony probation for each charge to run concurrently, was fined $1,000 and must participate in any mental health treatment deemed necessary by the probation department. He is also banned from TXK premises during his probation.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.