This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Rap superfan Zemarcuis Scott of Texarkana, Arkansas, pleaded guilty on Thursday for attempting to steal an airplane to go to a rap concert.
Scott was spotted by airport security personnel on July 4 when they noticed the 18-year-old jump a fence onto the Texarkana Regional Airport (TXK) tarmac at 2:30am. He was trying to snag a plane to see rapper Famous Dex perform in Illinois — a plan he thought about for nearly a month, he told investigators. He had been watching the plane he attempted to steal since 10pm the previous day.
The teenager had made it into the pilot’s seat of the American Eagle twin-engine jet’s cockpit before authorities stopped him.
Local police arrived on the scene soon after airport security saw him jump the fence and promptly arrested him on charges of commercial burglary and attempted theft of property. Not unlike the bizarre and tragic story of the 29-year old baggage handler that stole a Horizon Air plane back in August, Scott had no previous experience flying. He told investigators that he “wasn’t concerned” about his lack of pilot training and that he believed flying the plane could be simply accomplished by “pulling levers and pushing buttons.”
Scott was sentenced with a five-year term of felony probation for each charge to run concurrently, was fined $1,000 and must participate in any mental health treatment deemed necessary by the probation department. He is also banned from TXK premises during his probation.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees