Tech Start-Up Wants to Weigh Passengers Prior to Flying to Reduce Carbon Emissions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Would you step on a scale at the airport if it could reduce carbon emissions?
Well, UK-based tech start-up, Fuel Matrix, wants you to say “yes.”
Weight is a huge determining factor when it comes to the amount of fuel an airline pumps into its aircraft. The heavier the load, the more fuel needs to be used. Fuel Matrix wants to fine tune this system — taking the process of calculating the onboard weight a step further. Instead of just weighing baggage, airline’s should also weigh passengers.
The Washington Post reported that most airlines use “generous estimations” to quantify the weight of its passengers. Currently, the standard average weights set by the European Aviation Safety Agency are 197 lbs. for men, 154 lbs. for women and 77 lbs. for children. Roy Fuscone, CEO of Fuel Matrix, believes that by weighing passengers to get a more accurate number, airlines can save fuel.
“It’s critical to know the actual weight an airline is carrying to ensure the correct fuel uplift,” said Fuscone to Lonely Planet. By weighing passengers prior to take-off, the airline or airport staff would be able to calculate the plane’s exact “zero-fuel weight” (the total weight of the plane and its contents) — thus, avoiding the waste of money and carbon emissions that come with overfilling an aircraft.
Fuel Matrix emphasizes that the process for weighing passengers will be “discreet.” Some ideas the start-up has discussed with UK airports include pressure pads at self-service bag drops or during full body scans.
“We’re not suggesting people should stand on the scales, but airports could fit ‘pressure pads’ in the bag-drop area in front of each screen,” said Nick Brasier, Chief Operating Officer of Fuel Matrix to The Independent. “After the bag has been checked in, the system can ask, ‘Are you standing on the pressure pad?’ If the passenger taps ‘Yes’, then the weight can be recorded and passed confidentially to the airline.”
Data on weight will also be kept totally confidential, protected under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Featured image by Tais Policanti / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees