Teamsters Say Unsafe Working Conditions Could Cause Delays at ATL
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We are all used to the typical delays at airports due to weather and crew or mechanical issues with our plane. In what might seem an odd expansion of that list, your next delay might just be caused by the catering truck — at least according to the Teamsters.
A recent survey by the union of drivers for Gate Gourmet — a catering company that supplies Delta as well as other carriers operating from ATL — found some serious problems:
- 97% of drivers report knowing of a vehicle in service that has a “NO-GO” status, meaning there is a problem with the vehicle like broken safety rails, missing emergency equipment or even broken brakes.
- Drivers reported at least 46 catering trucks that should immediately be removed from service according to Gate Gourmet’s own policies.
- 86% of respondents reported knowing of fleet vehicles that are infested with rodents, ants, or other insects.
According to Steve Vairma, the Director of the Teamsters Warehouse Division, the union has been working with Gate Gourmet to address the issues. However, Vairma says that even though the company has said it will fix the fleet, it’s lowering safety standards in order for more of its fleet to meet operational requirements.
“The Teamsters are calling on Gate Gourmet to stop putting the public and our workers at risk by immediately allowing for an independent safety audit of Gate Gourmet’s vehicle fleet led by a neutral third party with participation from worker representatives,” Vairma said.
Vairma also said that “travelers departing from Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport should bring their own food and beverages on flights,” even though the statement by the Teamsters makes no mention of any issues related to food safety.
The Teamsters also said in a separate statement that Gate Gourmet employees at ATL and Washington – Dulles airport have been demonstrating for higher pay, with 73% of members polled in ATL saying they had to put off paying bills in order to afford buying food.
Featured image by Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees