Police Taser American Airlines Passenger Who Inappropriately Touched Female Traveler
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Airlines passenger was arrested on Sunday after he allegedly touched one passenger inappropriately and fought with another passenger before resisting arrest from several police officers who boarded the aircraft.
American Airlines Flight 2446 was preparing to depart from Miami (MIA) to Chicago (ORD) when the airline said a “disagreement occurred between two passengers.” NBC News reports that one passenger began touching a female passenger inappropriately before the boyfriend of the female passenger alerted authorities about the incident. While the aircraft, a Boeing 737-800 (registration N906NN), was still at the gate flight attendants asked the “instigating passenger” to deplane.
When the passenger, identified as 28-year-old Jacob Garcia, refused, the crew followed American policy and began deplaning the entire aircraft. During the deplaning process, the same two passengers got into a second physical altercation.
Miami-Dade Police Department officers boarded the aircraft and attempted to arrest Garcia but he refused. Video taken from on board shows the man continuously asking why he was being removed from the plane. Police confirmed that a taser was used.
Garcia was later placed under arrest and charged with five counts, including battery, resisting arrest and depriving an officer of their means of protection. As of Monday morning, Garcia is being held on a $9,000 bond, pending his first hearing.
American Airlines said in a statement that it will cooperate with the Miami-Dade Police Department on the matter.
AA2446 was ultimately delayed about one hour following the incident, eventually taking off at 10:34pm ET.
Featured image by Angel DiBilio / Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees