This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Airlines passenger was arrested on Sunday after he allegedly touched one passenger inappropriately and fought with another passenger before resisting arrest from several police officers who boarded the aircraft.
American Airlines Flight 2446 was preparing to depart from Miami (MIA) to Chicago (ORD) when the airline said a “disagreement occurred between two passengers.” NBC News reports that one passenger began touching a female passenger inappropriately before the boyfriend of the female passenger alerted authorities about the incident. While the aircraft, a Boeing 737-800 (registration N906NN), was still at the gate flight attendants asked the “instigating passenger” to deplane.
When the passenger, identified as 28-year-old Jacob Garcia, refused, the crew followed American policy and began deplaning the entire aircraft. During the deplaning process, the same two passengers got into a second physical altercation.
Miami-Dade Police Department officers boarded the aircraft and attempted to arrest Garcia but he refused. Video taken from on board shows the man continuously asking why he was being removed from the plane. Police confirmed that a taser was used.
Garcia was later placed under arrest and charged with five counts, including battery, resisting arrest and depriving an officer of their means of protection. As of Monday morning, Garcia is being held on a $9,000 bond, pending his first hearing.
American Airlines said in a statement that it will cooperate with the Miami-Dade Police Department on the matter.
AA2446 was ultimately delayed about one hour following the incident, eventually taking off at 10:34pm ET.
Featured image by Angel DiBilio / Shutterstock.com.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that