This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Airlines passenger was arrested on Sunday after he allegedly touched one passenger inappropriately and fought with another passenger before resisting arrest from several police officers who boarded the aircraft.
American Airlines Flight 2446 was preparing to depart from Miami (MIA) to Chicago (ORD) when the airline said a “disagreement occurred between two passengers.” NBC News reports that one passenger began touching a female passenger inappropriately before the boyfriend of the female passenger alerted authorities about the incident. While the aircraft, a Boeing 737-800 (registration N906NN), was still at the gate flight attendants asked the “instigating passenger” to deplane.
When the passenger, identified as 28-year-old Jacob Garcia, refused, the crew followed American policy and began deplaning the entire aircraft. During the deplaning process, the same two passengers got into a second physical altercation.
Miami-Dade Police Department officers boarded the aircraft and attempted to arrest Garcia but he refused. Video taken from on board shows the man continuously asking why he was being removed from the plane. Police confirmed that a taser was used.
Garcia was later placed under arrest and charged with five counts, including battery, resisting arrest and depriving an officer of their means of protection. As of Monday morning, Garcia is being held on a $9,000 bond, pending his first hearing.
American Airlines said in a statement that it will cooperate with the Miami-Dade Police Department on the matter.
AA2446 was ultimately delayed about one hour following the incident, eventually taking off at 10:34pm ET.
Featured image by Angel DiBilio / Shutterstock.com.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees