Police Taser American Airlines Passenger Who Inappropriately Touched Female Traveler
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An American Airlines passenger was arrested on Sunday after he allegedly touched one passenger inappropriately and fought with another passenger before resisting arrest from several police officers who boarded the aircraft.
American Airlines Flight 2446 was preparing to depart from Miami (MIA) to Chicago (ORD) when the airline said a “disagreement occurred between two passengers.” NBC News reports that one passenger began touching a female passenger inappropriately before the boyfriend of the female passenger alerted authorities about the incident. While the aircraft, a Boeing 737-800 (registration N906NN), was still at the gate flight attendants asked the “instigating passenger” to deplane.
When the passenger, identified as 28-year-old Jacob Garcia, refused, the crew followed American policy and began deplaning the entire aircraft. During the deplaning process, the same two passengers got into a second physical altercation.
Miami-Dade Police Department officers boarded the aircraft and attempted to arrest Garcia but he refused. Video taken from on board shows the man continuously asking why he was being removed from the plane. Police confirmed that a taser was used.
Garcia was later placed under arrest and charged with five counts, including battery, resisting arrest and depriving an officer of their means of protection. As of Monday morning, Garcia is being held on a $9,000 bond, pending his first hearing.
American Airlines said in a statement that it will cooperate with the Miami-Dade Police Department on the matter.
AA2446 was ultimately delayed about one hour following the incident, eventually taking off at 10:34pm ET.
Featured image by Angel DiBilio / Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.