This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is targeting MileagePlus members to earn bonus miles for taking flights by July 31, 2018. As part of the Runway promotion, United is offering select members the opportunity to earn a varying number of MileagePlus miles, potentially representing some good value to be had.
To check to see if you were targeted for this promotion, head to the Runway promotions page on United’s site. Enter your MileagePlus number and click through to view your offer. If it looks appealing, click Register now, and you’re set to start working toward your goals for bonus miles.
I was targeted to earn 13,600 bonus miles in tiers. If I spend $250 by July 31, I’ll earn 6,300 bonus miles, and if I spend an additional $300 ($550 total), I’ll earn a total of 13,600 MileagePlus miles. Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, those bonus miles are worth $190.
According to the terms and conditions, only the dollars spent on the fare — base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges but excluding government-imposed taxes and surcharges — on eligible flights operated by United and United Express will qualify toward the spending requirements. In addition, you must register by July 17, 2018, in order to be eligible to earn the bonus miles.
Unfortunately, only tickets purchased and ticketed after registration and flown within the time frame will qualify. Plus, basic economy (N fare class) tickets will not count toward the spend requirements. Bonus miles earned are redeemable miles and do not count toward Premier status.
Depending on your offer — if at all — this could be a promotion worth taking advantage of. If you’re thinking about booking a trip with United, it could be worth checking the Runway promotion to see if you were targeted. If so, register and then book your flight to help earn your way to bonus miles.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards