This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is targeting MileagePlus members to earn bonus miles for taking flights by July 31, 2018. As part of the Runway promotion, United is offering select members the opportunity to earn a varying number of MileagePlus miles, potentially representing some good value to be had.
To check to see if you were targeted for this promotion, head to the Runway promotions page on United’s site. Enter your MileagePlus number and click through to view your offer. If it looks appealing, click Register now, and you’re set to start working toward your goals for bonus miles.
I was targeted to earn 13,600 bonus miles in tiers. If I spend $250 by July 31, I’ll earn 6,300 bonus miles, and if I spend an additional $300 ($550 total), I’ll earn a total of 13,600 MileagePlus miles. Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, those bonus miles are worth $190.
According to the terms and conditions, only the dollars spent on the fare — base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges but excluding government-imposed taxes and surcharges — on eligible flights operated by United and United Express will qualify toward the spending requirements. In addition, you must register by July 17, 2018, in order to be eligible to earn the bonus miles.
Unfortunately, only tickets purchased and ticketed after registration and flown within the time frame will qualify. Plus, basic economy (N fare class) tickets will not count toward the spend requirements. Bonus miles earned are redeemable miles and do not count toward Premier status.
Depending on your offer — if at all — this could be a promotion worth taking advantage of. If you’re thinking about booking a trip with United, it could be worth checking the Runway promotion to see if you were targeted. If so, register and then book your flight to help earn your way to bonus miles.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees