Targeted: Earn up to 5x Chase points when you tap-to-pay on the NYC Subway
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Chase is surprising New Yorkers with a bonus points offer when they tap-to-pay on MTA subway rides with select Chase cards.
The offer appears to be targeted, but the promo dates all seem to be Jan. 30 to Apr. 30, 2020.
Here at TPG we’ve seen a variety of offers across numerous cards. Managing Editor Alberto Riva saw the highest offer, for 5x Ultimate Rewards points when paying with his Chase Sapphire Reserve® card. (Bonus points or not, the CSR should be your go-to card when it comes to any sort of travel purchases, like public transit, because of its regular 3x earning.)
Related: Best travel credit cards for 2020
Executive News Director, Scott Mayerowitz, was offered a 4x bonus on his World of Hyatt Credit Card. The card typically earns just 2x points on transit rides, so this is a nice bonus.
Lastly, TPG’s podcast producer, Caroline Schagrin, got an offer for 3.5% cash back on her Chase Freedom Unlimited card. Typically, the card earns just 1.5% back, so this also a nice boost. If you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card and usually use that for subway rides, you should temporarily switch over to the CFU, as you’ll earn 1.5 bonus points when you combine your accounts.
What’s not to love about a surprise targeted bonus? If you are one of the lucky targeted ones, definitely take advantage of it. However, beware that people have reported being double charged at MTA’s tap-to-pay turnstiles. In response, MTA is encouraging subway customers to disable Transit Express while using the subway system.
Featured photo by Jordan Sirek/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
SIGN-UP BONUS: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on all travel and dining, $300 annual travel credit, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners and Reserve cardmembers will earn 3x points on grocery purchases until the end of April.
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $900 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year. Through December 31, 2021, gas station & grocery store purchases will also count towards earning your Travel Credit
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $900 toward travel
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 50% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select and up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more