This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
If you have the Marriott Bonvoy Amex (aka the old SPG Amex), you might be targeted for a 100,000-point upgrade offer for moving to the higher-end Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card and spending $5,000 in the first 3 months. Like the publicly available offer open to those who sign up for the Bonvoy Brilliant card outright, this targeted 100k upgrade offer is available through Apr. 24.
I’ve been hoping to be targeted for an upgrade offer since I could use another 100,000 Marriott points valued at $800 by TPG and I’d certainly make use of the additional perks available with the Bonvoy Brilliant Amex (such as the up to 50k annual award night certificate and $300 Marriott credit). I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I logged in to Amex and checked my card offers:
I had to click “request an upgrade” to find that I was eligible for the 100,000-point offer. You may receive an email notifying you that you’re targeted (I haven’t as of yet), but can you also check manually:
- Go to and log in to your account
- Click the Menu option in the top left corner and select Cards
- Finally, select the View All Personal Charge & Credit Cards
- If one of your cards was eligible for an upgrade, you should see the offer listed on that page, or see a “request an upgrade” tab that’s worth clicking.
The Marriott Bonvoy Amex was one of my first travel rewards cards, and it was my go-to for everyday spending back in the SPG days when TPG rated Starpoints at an industry-leading 2.7 cents apiece. Those days are long gone now that the card earns 33% less on non-bonus purchases, but due to this nostalgia I’ll be a bit sad to part ways — especially now that the card is no longer open to applications. When I upgrade, I’ll lose it forever (though even if I kept it, it was getting a new look).
Oh well, I’ll always have the old purple card in my sock drawer — and the opportunity to earn 100,000 points just by upgrading and hitting the attached spending requirement will help me get over this fast. Then there’s also the $300 in statement credits for Marriott purchases each account year, which effectively brings the $450 annual fee (see rates & fees) down to $150, and the annual free night award for properties that cost up to 50,000 points. The Inn at Rancho Santa Fe outside of San Diego is a 50k points per night Marriott property that has me daydreaming about a trip out West thanks in part to my newly upgraded Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant.
Was your Marriott Bonvoy Amex (old SPG Amex) targeted for an upgrade offer? If so, we’d love to hear about your offer and whether or not you accepted.
For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Amex, please click here.
Sponsored by American Express.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn 75,000 points with this card after spending $3,000 within the first 3 months. TPG values 75K Bonvoy points to be worth around $600. Aside from the huge welcome offer you'll earn up to $300 in statement credits each year and 1 free night every year after cardmember anniversary.
- Earn 75,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
- Earn 6 Marriott Bonvoy points for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels. 3 points at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines. 2 points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy unlimited airport lounge visits when you enroll in Priority Pass™ Select membership.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $450 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees