United MileagePlus Once Again Offering TAP and Thai Awards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/28/19: United has confirmed that ANA awards have returned to the website and mobile app as well.
After an unexplained weeks-long absence, two unavailable United partners have returned. You can once again book awards on TAP Air Portugal and Thai Airways both online and over the phone. ANA awards have returned to United’s online platforms as well, though Singapore Airlines awards remain unavailable for now.
Of the two airlines that are once again available through United’s call center and online platforms, TAP is likely the most useful, because the carrier actually flies from the US. In addition to existing flights from Miami (MIA), Newark (EWR) and New York-JFK, TAP plans to add nonstops from Chicago (ORD), Washington, DC (IAD) and San Francisco (SFO) in June. TAP flights to Europe will run you 30,000 United miles in economy or 70,000 miles in business class.
Thai awards require a bit more effort to utilize, since the airline doesn’t offer US flights. There’s some great value to be had elsewhere in the world, however, including an opportunity to fly the carrier’s excellent first-class product between Australia and Southeast Asia for just 65,000 miles each way.
If you’ve been hoping to book a TAP or Thai award, I wouldn’t delay pulling the trigger. While both carriers are up and running right now, there’s always a chance United’s still working out some kinks, which could mean having them disappear — if only temporarily — once again.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees