United MileagePlus Once Again Offering TAP and Thai Awards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 2/28/19: United has confirmed that ANA awards have returned to the website and mobile app as well.
After an unexplained weeks-long absence, two unavailable United partners have returned. You can once again book awards on TAP Air Portugal and Thai Airways both online and over the phone. ANA awards have returned to United’s online platforms as well, though Singapore Airlines awards remain unavailable for now.
Of the two airlines that are once again available through United’s call center and online platforms, TAP is likely the most useful, because the carrier actually flies from the US. In addition to existing flights from Miami (MIA), Newark (EWR) and New York-JFK, TAP plans to add nonstops from Chicago (ORD), Washington, DC (IAD) and San Francisco (SFO) in June. TAP flights to Europe will run you 30,000 United miles in economy or 70,000 miles in business class.
Thai awards require a bit more effort to utilize, since the airline doesn’t offer US flights. There’s some great value to be had elsewhere in the world, however, including an opportunity to fly the carrier’s excellent first-class product between Australia and Southeast Asia for just 65,000 miles each way.
If you’ve been hoping to book a TAP or Thai award, I wouldn’t delay pulling the trigger. While both carriers are up and running right now, there’s always a chance United’s still working out some kinks, which could mean having them disappear — if only temporarily — once again.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/TPG.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.