TAP Air Portugal bids farewell to the Airbus A340
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s now one less airline flying the Airbus A340.
TAP Air Portugal retired its last of the four-engine widebodies earlier this week, marking the occasion with a ceremony for employees in one of its hangars (and with the Portuguese-language farewell video seen below).
The airline recalled how the A340 was state-of-the-art when it came into TAP’s fleet in the 1990s, noting in press release how it allowed the carrier to introduce new business-class amenities and individual seatback entertainment.
TAP’s retirement of the A340 is part of its fleet renewal plan. Its long-haul services are now operated by Airbus’ A330neos and A321LRs.
The Airbus A340, which first began flying commercially in 1993, is now out of production. But TAP’s move also comes as airlines have increasingly turned to new, more-efficient two-engine jets like Boeing’s 787 Dreamliner or Airbus’ A350 .
A number of major airlines still fly the A340 — including Iberia, Lufthansa, South African Airways and Virgin Atlantic — but the list is shrinking. Virgin Atlantic was originally planning to retire its A340s this fall but announced last month that they would continue flying into 2020. Most other major operators of the A340 plan to retire theirs sooner than later.
TAP summed up general outlook of the aviation industry succinctly in its statement about its A340 retirement:
“The future is NEO.”
Featured photo by Horacio Villalobos#476916#51B ED/Corbis via Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.