Airbus Delivers World’s First A330neo to TAP Air Portugal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s a big day for Airbus and TAP Air Portugal alike — the Portuguese flag carrier has just taken delivery of the world’s first A330neo, a more efficient replacement for the popular A330 series.
TAP’s variant is the larger A330-900, rather than the A330-800, which is struggling to gain traction in a crowded airliner market.
I had a chance to experience TAP’s first A330neo earlier this year, when the first aircraft was still undergoing tests as part of the Airbus fleet. Business class represents a huge upgrade, with 1-2-1 seating throughout.
Economy, meanwhile, maintains a familiar 2-4-2 configuration, but with updated seat-back TVs, improved cabin lighting and larger overhead bins.
TAP has previously suggested that it’ll begin flying the neo in December, but a launch date and route have yet to be confirmed.
The airline’s A330s currently serve Boston (BOS), Miami (MIA), New York (JFK) and Newark (EWR), in addition to destinations in Canada, Africa and South America. The neo could pop up on any of those routes, though the carrier’s prestigious North American routes may be first to score the notable upgrade.
For more on TAP’s first A330neo, see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.