This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s a big day for Airbus and TAP Air Portugal alike — the Portuguese flag carrier has just taken delivery of the world’s first A330neo, a more efficient replacement for the popular A330 series.
TAP’s variant is the larger A330-900, rather than the A330-800, which is struggling to gain traction in a crowded airliner market.
I had a chance to experience TAP’s first A330neo earlier this year, when the first aircraft was still undergoing tests as part of the Airbus fleet. Business class represents a huge upgrade, with 1-2-1 seating throughout.
Economy, meanwhile, maintains a familiar 2-4-2 configuration, but with updated seat-back TVs, improved cabin lighting and larger overhead bins.
TAP has previously suggested that it’ll begin flying the neo in December, but a launch date and route have yet to be confirmed.
The airline’s A330s currently serve Boston (BOS), Miami (MIA), New York (JFK) and Newark (EWR), in addition to destinations in Canada, Africa and South America. The neo could pop up on any of those routes, though the carrier’s prestigious North American routes may be first to score the notable upgrade.
For more on TAP’s first A330neo, see:
- Flying Business Class on the World’s First Airbus A330neo
- Step Inside the First Airbus A330neo
- Take a Tour of Airbus’ Brand New A330neo Airspace Cabin
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees