T-Mobile Launches Mobile Banking Offering 4% APY on Checking
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cell phone provider T-Mobile officially rolled out its mobile banking product on Thursday, touting high interest rates and a lack of fees. The announcement comes after the company had been piloting the service since November and adds to the list of unique benefits the carrier offers compared to traditional providers.
Eligible T-Mobile customers can earn a whopping 4% Annual Percentage Yield (APY) on checking account balances up to $3,000 – and 1% APY on every dollar over that.
That’s a great rate, but unfortunately you’ll only earn it on a relatively low balance, however you won’t find many other checking accounts with a high APY. Over the course of the year you can expect to earn around $120 if you keep an average of $3000 in the account. You’ll have to deposit $200 a month into your account to qualify for that rate.
Anything over $3,000 should be kept in a high-yield savings account if you want to maximize your returns. Bankrate has a list of accounts that offer interest rates north of 2% without any caps, like BBVA Compass which offers 2.4% as long as you have at least $25 in the account.
Another benefit is that no monthly fees are attached to the account regardless of balance — and if you’ve overdrawn your account, T-Mobile won’t hit you with an overdraft fee, in fact, they’ll cover the first $50 after you enter the red as long you pay them back within 30 days.
The best benefits like high interest rates are only available to T-Mobile customers, but anyone can open an account if they’d like. T-Mobile customers can also enroll in T-Mobile Tuesdays, a rewards program where customers get weekly prizes like discounts (or sometimes free) on movie tickets, gas, food and other items.
The account, powered by Bank Mobile, is FDIC insured up to $250,000, and you’ll have access to the Allpoint ATM network where you can withdraw cash without paying a fee at 55,000 ATMs around the country. You’ll have access to traditional banking services like mobile check deposit, bill pay and transferring money.
Featured image by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees