More Baggage Drama: Swissport Employees Caught Carelessly Tossing Luggage (Video)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It hasn’t been a great week for airport baggage handlers. Well, aside from this gentle fellow in South Africa, more and more incidents of baggage abuse are being exposed. On Monday, A Ryanair employee was caught stealing a speaker from a passenger’s carry-on.
Now, via passenger video, more evidence of poor baggage handling has been caught on video at Manchester Airport (MAN):
The footage was captured by passenger Elizabeth Evans, who witnessed her own pink suitcase taking quite a beating following her flight home from Malaga. In the video, Swissport employees can be seen carelessly tossing luggage off of a conveyor belt. Some bags fly straight past the cart and onto the concrete — and we hope that red suitcase didn’t contain anything delicate in the front pocket.
Since the video’s release on September 20, Manchester Airport has responded to claims of negligence in on Twitter:
According to the tweet, Manchester Airport’s CEO plans to “crack down” on ground handlers following the incident. Swissport might not be working at the airport site for while, or until it reviews its recruitment and training process for baggage employees, at least. Sounds like fighting words.
Swissport issued the following statement: “We are disappointed in the footage circulating on social media, and we apologise for the behavior of this individual. We can confirm we are investigating and will take all steps necessary to ensure this does not happen again.”
Incidents like these are why we recommend baggage insurance. To learn more about how you can use your credit card to protect your luggage on your next trip, check out our premium travel cards comparison.
Featured image by VanderWolf-Image / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.