More Baggage Drama: Swissport Employees Caught Carelessly Tossing Luggage (Video)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It hasn’t been a great week for airport baggage handlers. Well, aside from this gentle fellow in South Africa, more and more incidents of baggage abuse are being exposed. On Monday, A Ryanair employee was caught stealing a speaker from a passenger’s carry-on.
Now, via passenger video, more evidence of poor baggage handling has been caught on video at Manchester Airport (MAN):
The footage was captured by passenger Elizabeth Evans, who witnessed her own pink suitcase taking quite a beating following her flight home from Malaga. In the video, Swissport employees can be seen carelessly tossing luggage off of a conveyor belt. Some bags fly straight past the cart and onto the concrete — and we hope that red suitcase didn’t contain anything delicate in the front pocket.
Since the video’s release on September 20, Manchester Airport has responded to claims of negligence in on Twitter:
According to the tweet, Manchester Airport’s CEO plans to “crack down” on ground handlers following the incident. Swissport might not be working at the airport site for while, or until it reviews its recruitment and training process for baggage employees, at least. Sounds like fighting words.
Swissport issued the following statement: “We are disappointed in the footage circulating on social media, and we apologise for the behavior of this individual. We can confirm we are investigating and will take all steps necessary to ensure this does not happen again.”
Incidents like these are why we recommend baggage insurance. To learn more about how you can use your credit card to protect your luggage on your next trip, check out our premium travel cards comparison.
Featured image by VanderWolf-Image / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees