Swiss Hotel Will Allow Guests to Ski Down Its Roof in 2020
The old “ski off the top of the roof” — you don’t have to be an Olympic skier to pull off this party-trick. Instead, in 2020, you’re encouraged to do just that at the Audemars Piguet Hôtel des Horlogers in the Vallée de Joux, western Switzerland.
The new hotel was designed by architects from Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG). It features a zig-zagging, sloped roof built to blend seamlessly into the snowy, mountainous surroundings. “Quite early in the process we fell in love with this idea of a terrace building that follows the topography, the site is essentially sitting in a slope,” BIG partner Daniel Sundlin said to CNN.
Direct roof-to-slope access is possible through outdoor hotel room corridors that grant direct access to the tilted roof terraces. “Essentially there’s a local cross-country trail just in front of the building,” said Sundlin. “There will be an adjacent space where you can change gear and put your skis on and essentially just ski down the ramp and out into nature. ”
The hotel’s namesake comes from Swiss watchmaker Audemars Piguet and will feature an exhibit that showcases his work. Within the hotel, there will also be two restaurants, a bar, a spa and a conference room. Rooms were designed to provide guests with more of a “guesthouse” feel rather than one of a traditional hotel.
The major architectural theme BIG is going for is the strengthening of interpersonal relationships, as the multi-purpose roof will symbolize “connection.” Sundlin also explained that the sky-to-slope roofs will also work as a means of forming ties between hotel guests and the local community. “Being able to ski directly out of your hotel room into the landscape will give plenty of people a seamless and exciting way to explore their surroundings,” says Sundlin.
The first brick for Audemars Piguet Hôtel des Horlogers was laid in August 2018 and construction for the hotel is currently still in progress.
Featured image courtesy of Bjarke Ingels Group via CNN Travel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees