Newer cabins on older aircraft: Swiss completes A340 refurbishment program
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Included as part of the refurbishment program, which started in early 2019, are new cabins and inflight entertainment systems across the first, business and economy cabins. The new hard product is similar to what passengers can expect to find on the airline’s Boeing 777 aircraft — a vast improvement over the older, outdated products.
Related reading: Review: Swiss (A340) first class from San Francisco to Zurich
Each of the five A340-300 aircraft in Swiss’ fleet underwent the refurbishment process. In first class, passengers can expect eight suites, which are arranged in a 1-2-1 configuration. Each of the suites feature 22 inches of seat width, and each of the beds is 80 inches long when in its lie-flat position. As part of the refurbishment, each of the first-class suites also features a 32-inch inflight entertainment screen.
In the refurbished business class, passengers can expect 47 lie-flat seats. Each of the seats features 20.5 inches of width and is 79 inches long when in its lie-flat position. Meanwhile, the IFE screen measures 16 inches.
Farther back, economy passengers can expect a total of 164 seats spread across a preferable 2-4-2 configuration. Each of the seats measures 17.1 inches wide and offers 31 inches of pitch. Each of the IFE screens at the seats measures 11 inches.
Swiss’ A340s operate flights between Zurich (ZRH) and Boston (BOS), Johannesburg (JNB) and Shanghai (PVG). As of 1 March, the airline will also launch the retrofitted A340 on service between ZRH and Osaka (KIX).
Related reading: Flight review: Swiss (A340-300) economy from Zurich to Boston
All of Swiss’ long-haul aircraft, including these refurbished A340 aircraft, feature Wi-Fi connectivity. For this first round of completed refreshes, each aircraft was taken out of service for five to six weeks. According to PlaneSpotters.net, Swiss’ fleet of five A340s have an average age 16.3 years.
Featured photo courtesy of Swiss.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees