Sweet Spot Sunday: Fly from Florida to Montana and everywhere in-between for 7,500 LifeMiles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sweet Spot Sunday is a weekly series, highlighting the best-value award redemptions across loyalty programs.
Star Alliance member Avianca is a South American carrier that has a third-party-run loyalty program named LifeMiles. We’ve covered it several times over the years because of the great value it can provide in booking StarAlliance partner-operated award flights. You can also routinely buy LifeMiles at a price where it could make sense for some to immediately cash in those miles for an otherwise expensive ticket.
United States 2
LifeMiles has a region-based award chart for Star Alliance-operated flights. One of the most intriguing regions on the Star Alliance chart is ‘United States 2’ which consists of the following states:
Prices for award itineraries within United States 2, regardless of how many segments you fly, are priced at 7,500 miles one-way in economy.
The farthest you could fly from corner to corner of United States 2 would be a Miami (MIA) to Houston (IAH) to Kalispell, Montana (FCA) on United-operated flights. This would cover a whopping 2,577 miles.
LifeMiles has certainly made an interesting decision on how to dissect the US into different award regions. On one hand, if you need to fly from Florida to the Midwest, then you’ll get great value. On the other hand, a flight from Atlanta to Washington Dulles (IAD) would cost more LifeMiles than Florida to Montana.
How to book
Booking on LifeMiles.com is rather a simple process, minus one bug that seems to affect the site I’ll cover below. After logging in, perform a simple redemption search. In this case, my home airport of Atlanta (since Georgia is also in United States 2) to Kalispell, Montana (FCA).
You’ll then get a calendar of results. Any day with a blue dot indicates that date should have availability. The 7,500-mile pricing should also be confirmed at the top in the blue pill:
From there you select a date, see available flight options and confirm your booking. These Atlanta to Kalispell itineraries consist of one-stop in Denver (DEN):
LifeMiles has a reputation as being a rather glitchy program from time to time with a call center that is less than helpful. The one problem I’ve encountered with this sweet spot is anytime I search for a Florida to Montana itienrary, the calendar results show availability but when I try to select an individual date, the site either continuously tries to load or it says there is no availability.
Searching flights from Florida to United hub Houston (IAH) or IAH to Montana (or any other airport in United States 2) shows availability:
Searching flights from Florida to other airports in United States 2 also works; in this case Tampa to Sioux Falls, South Dakota (FSD) via Chicago (ORD):
It seems to only be itineraries from Florida to Montana that error out. This obviously means maximizing the zone can only be done over the phone and once again, that can be a challenge — but not impossible — with LifeMiles.
There are a variety of ways to earn this valuable currency with everything from their own cobranded cards to five different transfer partners.
There are two LifeMiles credit cards available to United States residents. The first is the Avianca Vuela Visa which currently offers 40,000 miles after your first purchase with the card and carries a $149 annual fee. The second card is the Avianca Vida Visa Card which currently offers 20,000 miles after your first purchase and carries a $59 annual fee. These cards are issued by Banco Popular de Puerto Rico.
You can also earn LifeMiles by transfering from Amex Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou Points or Brex Rewards at a 1:1 ratio. You can also transfer from Capital One Venture Miles at a 2:1.5 ratio. Last, you can transfer from Marriott Bonvoy at a 3:1 ratio with a 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 Bonvoy points you transfer (equating to 25,000 miles per 60,000 Bonvoy points).
The final way most US residents earn LifeMiles is when they offer lucrative buy-miles promos. There are regular bonuses of 150% or more which drop the price to 1.32 cents per mile. This would make an intra-United States 2 flight cost $99 out of pocket.
Depending on which domestic route you’re hoping to fly with United Airlines, redeeming LifeMiles for that flight can make a lot of sense. With United States 2 on the LifeMiles Star Alliance award chart covering an area from Florida to Montana and most everything in-between, 7,500 miles is a fantastic price to get you on your next trip.
Featured photo of Silver Star, Montana courtesy of Clint Henderson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.