Last Year’s Sweepstakes Winner Dishes on How He Redeemed His Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, we announced our largest-ever sweepstakes with a massive grand prize — the trip of a lifetime planned by The Points Guy with 1 million Chase Ultimate Rewards Points. That’s right, Brian Kelly himself will help you put your winnings to good use.
So what does it cost you to get in on this?
A $10 minimum donation — that’s it! (Though the more you donate, the more opportunities you have to win.) Proceeds go to support Rainbow Railroad, a LGBTQI organization helping those facing state-enabled persecution.
In honor of the sweepstakes — and to show our readers what it looks like to win — we caught up with Patrick Kavanagh, the 2018 recipient of our 500,000-point grand prize. He spent his points on a month-long trip around Asia, flying in style with some of our favorite airlines, including Emirates and Singapore.
First, however, he had to meet with TPG and staff at our New York City headquarters, where they broke down where he wanted to go and helped him figure out how to get there. The best part, according to Patrick? “Letting them book it was so efficient, and they got such a better value (from the points) than doing it myself.”
Patrick’s journey started in Newark, where he was picked up by Emirates’ chauffeur service.
After a quick overnight in Zurich, his next stop was Singapore via Singapore Airlines’ famous A380 suites, which — according to Patrick — was the best flight of his trip, “The flight attendant-to-passenger ratio is very low, so I got to know the crew very well,” he said. “They waited on me hand and foot.”
He also mentioned that the Krug and Dom Perignon were free-flowing, which is a must for the discerning traveler.
The following three weeks were spent traveling throughout Asia, from the Mongolian steppes to the Forbidden City in Beijing.
All told, he visited nine cities in six countries, using the points he won to fly first class — with the exception of a few intra-China flights — the whole way.
Alas, all good things must come to an end, so when his vacation ran out, he boarded his Asiana flight …
… and settled in for the long journey back home.
So what does last year’s winner have to say to those hoping to take home this year’s haul of points? Quite a lot, actually. While there’s nothing he would change about his own trip, Patrick had these words to offer:
- Travel for as long as you can.
- Go as many places as you want.
- Figure out where you want to go early on, so TPG can help you redeem your points for maximum value.
- Leverage your existing status, if you have any. [Patrick is a Hilton Diamond member, and used his executive lounge access extensively throughout the trip.]
- Enjoy yourself!
Will you be this year’s winner? All it takes is a $10 donation for the chance to win the trip of a lifetime!
All photos courtesy of Patrick Kavanagh unless otherwise noted.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees