Last Year’s Sweepstakes Winner Dishes on How He Redeemed His Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, we announced our largest-ever sweepstakes with a massive grand prize — the trip of a lifetime planned by The Points Guy with 1 million Chase Ultimate Rewards Points. That’s right, Brian Kelly himself will help you put your winnings to good use.
So what does it cost you to get in on this?
A $10 minimum donation — that’s it! (Though the more you donate, the more opportunities you have to win.) Proceeds go to support Rainbow Railroad, a LGBTQI organization helping those facing state-enabled persecution.
In honor of the sweepstakes — and to show our readers what it looks like to win — we caught up with Patrick Kavanagh, the 2018 recipient of our 500,000-point grand prize. He spent his points on a month-long trip around Asia, flying in style with some of our favorite airlines, including Emirates and Singapore.
First, however, he had to meet with TPG and staff at our New York City headquarters, where they broke down where he wanted to go and helped him figure out how to get there. The best part, according to Patrick? “Letting them book it was so efficient, and they got such a better value (from the points) than doing it myself.”
Patrick’s journey started in Newark, where he was picked up by Emirates’ chauffeur service.
After a quick overnight in Zurich, his next stop was Singapore via Singapore Airlines’ famous A380 suites, which — according to Patrick — was the best flight of his trip, “The flight attendant-to-passenger ratio is very low, so I got to know the crew very well,” he said. “They waited on me hand and foot.”
He also mentioned that the Krug and Dom Perignon were free-flowing, which is a must for the discerning traveler.
The following three weeks were spent traveling throughout Asia, from the Mongolian steppes to the Forbidden City in Beijing.
All told, he visited nine cities in six countries, using the points he won to fly first class — with the exception of a few intra-China flights — the whole way.
Alas, all good things must come to an end, so when his vacation ran out, he boarded his Asiana flight …
… and settled in for the long journey back home.
So what does last year’s winner have to say to those hoping to take home this year’s haul of points? Quite a lot, actually. While there’s nothing he would change about his own trip, Patrick had these words to offer:
- Travel for as long as you can.
- Go as many places as you want.
- Figure out where you want to go early on, so TPG can help you redeem your points for maximum value.
- Leverage your existing status, if you have any. [Patrick is a Hilton Diamond member, and used his executive lounge access extensively throughout the trip.]
- Enjoy yourself!
Will you be this year’s winner? All it takes is a $10 donation for the chance to win the trip of a lifetime!
All photos courtesy of Patrick Kavanagh unless otherwise noted.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.