This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Have you used all of your paid vacation days for 2018? If not, you’re in good company. A quarter of the people surveyed in a new study by Priceline said they still have more than nine vacation days left on the table, with just one month left in the calendar year.
According to Priceline’s just-released Work-Life Balance Report, which surveyed more than 1,000 people across the US, less than half of Americans (45%) said they always use all their vacation days every year. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the percentage is even lower among women — only 39% of women who responded said they always use all of their PTO.
It’s not exactly news that Americans lose out on an awful lot of paid time off. (Research from Project: Time Off suggests that 24% of workers didn’t use any time off in 2017.) But the Priceline survey also found that Americans weren’t particularly satisfied with the ways they used their days off in 2018.
More than 41% of people reported that those “oblication” trips (you know, a second cousin’s baby shower or overpriced bachelor getaway) were among their top travel regrets when it comes to how they used hard-earned vacation days. And more than one in four people said they plan to take less paid time off for wedding-related travel in 2019.
When it comes to travel resolutions for 2019, nearly 60% of people surveyed said they plan to take more time off next year than they did this year. Nearly half declared they intend to embark on more solo trips, while a third hope to plan a trip outside the US. Almost two-thirds of Americans surveyed plan to take a passion-driven trip. Of course, some things don’t really ever change. Relaxation (40%) and food (41%) were the two most common reasons why people surveyed said they travel.
If you’re among the cohort that still has vacation days left to use this year, it’s not too late. We did a quick search using Kayak’s Explore tool and found some very tempting options for $400 or less
Departing from New York City
- Soak up some sun on Mexico’s Riviera Maya with flights to Cancún from $269 when you combine one-way tickets aboard Spirit and United. (This is a Hacker Airfare with flights departing JFK and returning via EWR.)
- Embrace Charleston’s southern charm with direct flights from JFK on JetBlue from $191.
- Try your hand at celeb-spotting in Tinseltown with flights to LAX for as low as $218, so long as you don’t mind a transcontinental flight with Spirit.
- Venture into the cold and try to spot the Northern Lights in Iceland with flights to Reykjavík from $240 with WOW Air.
Departing from Chicago (ORD)
- Embrace Danish hygge in Copenhagen with flights for as low as $340 — also with WOW Air.
- Explore Ecuador with $400 round-trip flights to Quito on Aeromexico.
- Hack your way to sun, sand and salsa dancing in Havana with fares combining one-way tickets on JetBlue and United for just $313.
Departing from Los Angeles (LAX)
- Get ready for some R&R at a new, luxe resort in Cabo with hacker fares to San Jose del Cabo starting at $204 when you combine flights on Interjet and United.
- Let off some steam in Las Vegas with direct flights on Spirit Airlines for $102.
- Eat your way through the Big Easy with flights to New Orleans for $172 aboard Spirit Airlines.
Because whatever you do, you shouldn’t let a single vacation day go to waste!
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees