Flights Canceled, Waivers Issued as Super Typhoon Mangkhut Barrels Toward Philippines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Super Typhoon Mangkhut barreled toward the northern Philippines Thursday morning. The massive storm hurtling directly to Southeast Asia clocked top wind speeds up to 180 mph — the equivalent of a Category 5 hurricane — and is expected to make a direct hit on Saturday on the Philippine island of Luzon, according to the Weather Channel.
Forecasters in the Philippines said Mangkhut’s raincloud band was 560 miles wide, and the storm’s intense rains could likely cause dangerous landslides and flash floods, the AP reports. Countries across Asia were issuing emergency alerts and evacuating citizens in the storm path. At least 25 provinces across Luzon had issued storm warnings — prohibiting sea travel and grounding all flights out of the area.
Philippine officials said that about 4.2 million people were in the destructive path near storm’s eye, and authorities began evacuating the northern provinces on Thursday morning. Mangkhut has already ripped through Guam, where it caused floods and power outages.
Another smaller storm, Typhoon Barijat, was hurtling toward China on Thursday as well. CNN reports that at least 12,000 people had been evacuated from the low-lying areas of Guangdong province in anticipation of that storm.
Several airlines issued travel waivers due to the storm. Here is the latest as of 11:00am ET:
- Airports affected: Guam, GU, US (GUM); Saipan, MP (SPN)
- Affected travel dates: September 10 – September 13, 2018
- The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing between September 10, 2018, and September 19, 2018, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
- For wholly rescheduled travel departing after September 19, 2018, or for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued.
- Airports affected: Guangzhou, China (CAN); Kaohsiung (KHH); Hong Kong (HKG)
- Affected travel dates: September 16 – 17, 2018
- Must have purchased ticket by September 11, 2018. Don’t change your origin or destination. Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference.
Featured image by Phys.org.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees