Passenger Could Be Charged $17,450 for Unruly Behavior on Flight
They say that crime doesn’t pay — but a rowdy passenger on a plane might have to.
Sunwing Airlines wants to charge an unruly passenger more than $17,450 in damages because his behavior forced the aircraft to turn back around to its origin.
Charalabos Nassios was on a July 2017 flight from Montreal to Cuba, which was delayed at the airport for about 50 minutes before takeoff. Nassiso drank alcohol and started to become angry, and once the plane was in the air, began to threaten flight attendants and fellow passengers.
Due to his behavior, the pilots turned the plane around and headed back to Montreal — escorted by two F-15 jets from the US Air Force. Now, the Canadian airline wants Nassios to foot the bill for the cost of the fuel, landing fees, overtime salaries and hotel costs the carrier had to shell out. Sunwing is also requesting that Nassios be put on probation for three years, which would mean he would have to give up his travel documents and stay in Quebec.
Nassios pleaded guilty to the charges of assault, mischief and uttering threats. His lawyer says he does not have the financial resources to fulfill Sunwing’s request.
The 40-year-old passenger will be sentenced on April 18.
H/T: Business Insider
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees