This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
They say that crime doesn’t pay — but a rowdy passenger on a plane might have to.
Sunwing Airlines wants to charge an unruly passenger more than $17,450 in damages because his behavior forced the aircraft to turn back around to its origin.
Charalabos Nassios was on a July 2017 flight from Montreal to Cuba, which was delayed at the airport for about 50 minutes before takeoff. Nassiso drank alcohol and started to become angry, and once the plane was in the air, began to threaten flight attendants and fellow passengers.
Due to his behavior, the pilots turned the plane around and headed back to Montreal — escorted by two F-15 jets from the US Air Force. Now, the Canadian airline wants Nassios to foot the bill for the cost of the fuel, landing fees, overtime salaries and hotel costs the carrier had to shell out. Sunwing is also requesting that Nassios be put on probation for three years, which would mean he would have to give up his travel documents and stay in Quebec.
Nassios pleaded guilty to the charges of assault, mischief and uttering threats. His lawyer says he does not have the financial resources to fulfill Sunwing’s request.
The 40-year-old passenger will be sentenced on April 18.
H/T: Business Insider
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees