This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
They say that crime doesn’t pay — but a rowdy passenger on a plane might have to.
Sunwing Airlines wants to charge an unruly passenger more than $17,450 in damages because his behavior forced the aircraft to turn back around to its origin.
Charalabos Nassios was on a July 2017 flight from Montreal to Cuba, which was delayed at the airport for about 50 minutes before takeoff. Nassiso drank alcohol and started to become angry, and once the plane was in the air, began to threaten flight attendants and fellow passengers.
Due to his behavior, the pilots turned the plane around and headed back to Montreal — escorted by two F-15 jets from the US Air Force. Now, the Canadian airline wants Nassios to foot the bill for the cost of the fuel, landing fees, overtime salaries and hotel costs the carrier had to shell out. Sunwing is also requesting that Nassios be put on probation for three years, which would mean he would have to give up his travel documents and stay in Quebec.
Nassios pleaded guilty to the charges of assault, mischief and uttering threats. His lawyer says he does not have the financial resources to fulfill Sunwing’s request.
The 40-year-old passenger will be sentenced on April 18.
H/T: Business Insider
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards