Sun Country to Battle Alaska Airlines on Portland-Los Cabos Route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sun Country has announced a new route between Portland, Oregon, and the Mexican resort destination of Los Cabos.
The seasonal service will begin Dec 18, with Sun Country operating one round-trip flight each Wednesday and Saturday through April 11. Tickets for the route are now on sale.
Sun Country will have competition on the route, where it will go head-to-head with Alaska Airlines’ seasonal service, according to Diio by Cirium schedules.
Sun Country has historically focused on offering flights from its main base at Minneapolis/St. Paul. But the carrier has expanded its footprint since the summer of 2018, adding multiple routes from airports like Nashville (BNA), Las Vegas (LAS) and Portland (PDX).
The addition of Los Cabos (SJD) will give Sun Country a total of nine destinations from PDX. Of those, three operate all year and six are seasonal. A tenth destination showing from PDX on Sun Country’s route map — to Phoenix — has been suspended with no plans to resume, according to the airline.
Featured image by Daniel Slim, AFP/Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.