Summer Hack: Hot Drinks (Sometimes) Cool You Down Quicker
This scientifically proven summer hack is making us completely reevaluate what we thought we knew about staying cool in the heat. Apparently, hot + hot = cool in this strange universe.
In some instances, a hot drink will cool you down quicker than a cool drink, a new study says. The counterintuitive logic was put to the test and proven by researcher Ollie Jay from the University of Ottawa’s School of Human Kinetics.
But, there are specific environments when you should order your beverage hot rather than iced for the theory to work.
The vital determining factor in the equation is that the environment allows your sweat to evaporate, meaning that the outdoor heat has to be dry rather than humid, so cities like Phoenix and Las Vegas are in luck. Plus, you’ll need to be sure that your clothes won’t restrict sweat evaporation.
According to the study, a hot drink will cool you down because it makes you sweat quickly, which then helps you to cool down quickly. The evaporation of sweat, specifically, is what will cool you down, and Jay said that it’ll “more than compensate” for the hot temperature of the beverage that you ingest.
In his study, Jay was able to prove that the theory works by testing the skin temperature and metabolic heat of cyclists. He concluded that those drinking hot water stored less heat in their bodies.
This hack may very well rock your world if you live in a desert-like climate or non-coastal regions that are getting plenty of sun. Unfortunately for the TPG staff in NYC, the muggy weather isn’t dry enough for us to try out the method, so we’ll have to stick with our iced lattes.
Featured image by Christian Vierig/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.