Summer Hack: Hot Drinks (Sometimes) Cool You Down Quicker
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This scientifically proven summer hack is making us completely reevaluate what we thought we knew about staying cool in the heat. Apparently, hot + hot = cool in this strange universe.
In some instances, a hot drink will cool you down quicker than a cool drink, a new study says. The counterintuitive logic was put to the test and proven by researcher Ollie Jay from the University of Ottawa’s School of Human Kinetics.
But, there are specific environments when you should order your beverage hot rather than iced for the theory to work.
The vital determining factor in the equation is that the environment allows your sweat to evaporate, meaning that the outdoor heat has to be dry rather than humid, so cities like Phoenix and Las Vegas are in luck. Plus, you’ll need to be sure that your clothes won’t restrict sweat evaporation.
According to the study, a hot drink will cool you down because it makes you sweat quickly, which then helps you to cool down quickly. The evaporation of sweat, specifically, is what will cool you down, and Jay said that it’ll “more than compensate” for the hot temperature of the beverage that you ingest.
In his study, Jay was able to prove that the theory works by testing the skin temperature and metabolic heat of cyclists. He concluded that those drinking hot water stored less heat in their bodies.
This hack may very well rock your world if you live in a desert-like climate or non-coastal regions that are getting plenty of sun. Unfortunately for the TPG staff in NYC, the muggy weather isn’t dry enough for us to try out the method, so we’ll have to stick with our iced lattes.
Featured image by Christian Vierig/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.