16 Striking Photos That Showcase the A380’s Opulence
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With the news of the world’s largest commercial airliner being axed once final deliveries are made in 2021, we wanted to take a now-nostalgic look back at some of the opulence that the giant jet has enabled. Some of the most extravagant products in the sky were made possible thanks to the A380’s gargantuan interior, including Etihad’s Residence and Apartment suites.
While the A380 will be available to fly for years to come, we’ve likely reached the end of interior innovation within them. Pardon our sniffling — made particularly noticeable on Valentine’s Day — as we peruse a few shots that show off the best of what makes the biggest passenger plane in the world so special.
Dining on Emirates’ A380 is an experience unto itself. This is first class.
A stairway fit for a king. Or, a savvy points and miles enthusiast.
While United may try to cram a self-serve bar like this onto its new-fangled CRJ550 regional jet, the A380 will always hold the crown.
Lie-flats and business class suites are fine, we suppose, but clearly the A380 understood the importance of rest.
Even planes must one day meet their maker.
Blade Runner meets Crayola.
Four engines, an unmistakable paint job and room for 500+ of your closest friends.
The bathroom in a new Park Hyatt? Actually, it’s just a taste of what’s possible aboard an A380.
If you’re planning a trip on an A380, you may want to board early and politely ask for a cockpit picture. You’ll be capturing history.
Don’t ever forget it: the A380 made showers on commercial jets seem totally normal.
With a wingspan of nearly 261 feet, an overall length pushing 239 feet and a height of over 79 feet, the A380 is Brobdingnagian in every meaningful way.
Breakfast in bed on an airplane. High five, A380.
With most flights, you leave the lounge to board. On an A380, you simply walk into a different lounge capable of flying 9,000 miles without stopping.
Several TPG staffers have enjoyed memorable flights on A380s, including JT Genter’s experience in Emirates First Class.
Though, his time in the cockpit at a trade show no doubt rivaled his time in the passenger cabin.
And if you fly it, and sit near the wing, you will get a sense of how truly immense this machine is.
What are you fondest memories of flying on an Airbus A380? Let us know in comments below!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.