This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While in NYC for the TPG Awards this week I was buzzing around the city a bit and took a few trips using Uber. Along the way, I started to rack up several Starbucks buy one, get one free coupons from Uber in my inbox. Turns out, this is Uber’s “Week of Cheers” that runs from Dec. 3 – 9.
When you take an Uber ride during those dates and leave a tip in the Uber app, you can earn up to three Starbucks BOGO coupons — maximum of one earned per day.
Once earned, the Starbucks coupons are valid for a free handcrafted Starbucks beverage with the purchase of another until Dec. 12 (valid only after 2pm). The coupon is valid at most US Starbucks location with the exception of those housed within major theme parks.
In a case of lovely coincidence, December is also the month when the Platinum Card® from American Express increases the monthly Uber credit from the standard $20 to $35, making it an even better time to put that credit to use, leave a tip and then enjoy Peppermint Mochas or your Starbucks drink of choice with a friend.
The annual Uber credits are just one of the many benefits of the Platinum Card. The card currently comes with a welcome bonus of 60,000 points after you spend $5,000 in the first three months. You’ll earn 5x Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or Amex Travel, as well as on eligible hotels booked through Amex Travel. In addition, you’ll get up to $200 in annual airline fee credits, a credit for Global Entry, Centurion Lounge access and much more.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards