This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While in NYC for the TPG Awards this week I was buzzing around the city a bit and took a few trips using Uber. Along the way, I started to rack up several Starbucks buy one, get one free coupons from Uber in my inbox. Turns out, this is Uber’s “Week of Cheers” that runs from Dec. 3 – 9.
When you take an Uber ride during those dates and leave a tip in the Uber app, you can earn up to three Starbucks BOGO coupons — maximum of one earned per day.
Once earned, the Starbucks coupons are valid for a free handcrafted Starbucks beverage with the purchase of another until Dec. 12 (valid only after 2pm). The coupon is valid at most US Starbucks location with the exception of those housed within major theme parks.
In a case of lovely coincidence, December is also the month when the Platinum Card® from American Express increases the monthly Uber credit from the standard $20 to $35, making it an even better time to put that credit to use, leave a tip and then enjoy Peppermint Mochas or your Starbucks drink of choice with a friend.
The annual Uber credits are just one of the many benefits of the Platinum Card. The card currently comes with a welcome bonus of 60,000 points after you spend $5,000 in the first three months. You’ll earn 5x Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or Amex Travel, as well as on eligible hotels booked through Amex Travel. In addition, you’ll get up to $200 in annual airline fee credits, a credit for Global Entry, Centurion Lounge access and much more.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees