Update: The TSA Is Confiscating Souvenirs from Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge — and They’re Not Lightsabers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update as of 08/31/19: The TSA has reversed a ban on Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge soda bottles. Previously, the bottles had been banned in checked baggage due to the fact that they resemble hand grenades. TSA policy is that replica explosives are not permitted in checked baggage. A statement from the TSA says they have completed their review of the bottles, and that the bottles will now be permitted in checked baggage. (Because the bottles exceed the 100ml limit placed on liquids in carry-ons they must be placed in checked bags.) However, the agency says that, “TSA officers will maintain the discretion to prohibit any item through the screening checkpoint if they believe it poses a security threat.”
Disney’s Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge officially opens Thursday at Walt Disney World in Florida. From building your own droids to handcrafted lightsabers, there’s lots of shopping to be had within Galaxy’s Edge. Superfans are virtually guaranteed to come home with souvenirs from the planet of Batuu. But, there’s at least one out-of-this-world item that can’t fly home with you, according to the TSA.
The TSA doesn’t want the Galaxy’s Edge Coke bottles to fly. Why? Well, while harmless (beyond the 160 calories), these cans are shaped like “thermal detonators” and, at least to a security screener, they simply look too much like the real thing.
After a traveler sent a tweet to the official @AskTSA Twitter account asking whether the “dodgy”-looking souvenirs could be packed in his suitcase, the account responded stating they weren’t allowed on planes at all, regardless of where they’re packed.
Replicas of explosives, such as hand grenades, are prohibited in checked and carry-on baggage.
One can only assume that it was somehow never considered that visitors might actually want to take the themed soda bottles home as decorative souvenirs.
If you simply can’t live without your mini-grenade-shaped Coke bottle, or want to bring a few home for the Star Wars fanatics in your life, you can always ship them back home. There’s a FedEx store conveniently located less than two miles from the park. If you go this route, be sure to use a card that earns a bonus for shipping purchases. The Chase Ink Business Preferred Credit Card, for example, earns 3x Chase Ultimate Rewards points (6%) on shipping purchases as part of the first $150,000 spent on travel, shipping, internet, phone, cable and advertising purchases per year.
Thankfully, $200 lightsabers are cleared to fly home with you — whether you travel by starcruiser or commercial aircraft.
Additional reporting by J. Scott Clark.
Featured image by Summer Hull / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees