This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today I want to share a story from TPG reader Neil, who saved on a recent purchase he made for a home improvement project:
My wife and I recently purchased our first home, which had a guest room painted a very bold red that we knew we’d repaint eventually. Quite separately, I was browsing available rewards on my Platinum Card® from American Express using the Nearby Offers feature of the mobile app. I was able to see additional Amex Offers that were not shown in the list view on the mobile app or on the desktop.
One such offer was a $25 credit when spending more than $100 with Sherwin Williams. We had not planned to paint the room immediately, but thought we might as well take advantage of the offer. As I searched the Sherwin Williams website to check my local store’s hours, I saw two more intriguing offers. One was a coupon offering 30% off paints and stains and 20% off painting supplies — perfect! The second was Sherwin Williams’ preferred customer program, which offered me a coupon for $10 off a $50 purchase upon signing up.
Armed with my two coupons and a color selection we made earlier in the week, I headed down to my local store and purchased two gallons of Leisure Blue paint, a paint tray, roller, roller frame and two rolls of blue tape. The pre-tax total would have been about $174, but the two coupons brought the total down near $115. With the Amex Offers credit (which posted about a week later), we spent just over $90, a savings of nearly 50%. Best of all, we’ll be rid of that exceptionally bold red.
One great feature of Amex Offers is that you don’t have to do anything special to redeem them. After adding an offer to your card, you just use it to pay like normal, and your bonus points or statement credit show up automatically once you meet the requirements. That means you can stack offers with other savings and rewards like Neil did, including store coupons, in-store loyalty programs, shopping portal bonuses and more. By combining a variety of deals, he ended up with a substantial discount.
As Neil points out, the Nearby Offers feature can help you find local offers, but it’s not ideal for browsing. The map search often returns a hit for each location of a business — for example, a Starbucks offer might appear at every Starbucks in your area, which means you end up seeing a lot of duplicates. That makes searching for other nearby deals cumbersome, so I only recommend using this method if you’re looking for a particular offer that isn’t showing up in your account elsewhere.
I love this story and I want to hear more like it! In appreciation for sharing this experience (and for allowing me to post it online), I’m sending Neil a $200 airline gift card to enjoy on future travels, and I’d like to do the same for you. Please email your own award travel success stories to email@example.com; be sure to include details about how you earned and redeemed your rewards, and put “Reader Success Story” in the subject line. Feel free to also submit your most woeful travel mistakes, or to contribute to our new award redemption series. If your story is published in either case, I’ll send you a gift to jump-start your next adventure.
Safe and happy travels to all, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Featured image via Shutterstock.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees