Stacking Deals on Paint Supplies — Reader Success Story
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today I want to share a story from TPG reader Neil, who saved on a recent purchase he made for a home improvement project:
My wife and I recently purchased our first home, which had a guest room painted a very bold red that we knew we’d repaint eventually. Quite separately, I was browsing available rewards on my Platinum Card® from American Express using the Nearby Offers feature of the mobile app. I was able to see additional Amex Offers that were not shown in the list view on the mobile app or on the desktop.
One such offer was a $25 credit when spending more than $100 with Sherwin Williams. We had not planned to paint the room immediately, but thought we might as well take advantage of the offer. As I searched the Sherwin Williams website to check my local store’s hours, I saw two more intriguing offers. One was a coupon offering 30% off paints and stains and 20% off painting supplies — perfect! The second was Sherwin Williams’ preferred customer program, which offered me a coupon for $10 off a $50 purchase upon signing up.
Armed with my two coupons and a color selection we made earlier in the week, I headed down to my local store and purchased two gallons of Leisure Blue paint, a paint tray, roller, roller frame and two rolls of blue tape. The pre-tax total would have been about $174, but the two coupons brought the total down near $115. With the Amex Offers credit (which posted about a week later), we spent just over $90, a savings of nearly 50%. Best of all, we’ll be rid of that exceptionally bold red.
One great feature of Amex Offers is that you don’t have to do anything special to redeem them. After adding an offer to your card, you just use it to pay like normal, and your bonus points or statement credit show up automatically once you meet the requirements. That means you can stack offers with other savings and rewards like Neil did, including store coupons, in-store loyalty programs, shopping portal bonuses and more. By combining a variety of deals, he ended up with a substantial discount.
As Neil points out, the Nearby Offers feature can help you find local offers, but it’s not ideal for browsing. The map search often returns a hit for each location of a business — for example, a Starbucks offer might appear at every Starbucks in your area, which means you end up seeing a lot of duplicates. That makes searching for other nearby deals cumbersome, so I only recommend using this method if you’re looking for a particular offer that isn’t showing up in your account elsewhere.
I love this story and I want to hear more like it! In appreciation for sharing this experience (and for allowing me to post it online), I’m sending Neil a $200 airline gift card to enjoy on future travels, and I’d like to do the same for you. Please email your own award travel success stories to email@example.com; be sure to include details about how you earned and redeemed your rewards, and put “Reader Success Story” in the subject line. Feel free to also submit your most woeful travel mistakes, or to contribute to our new award redemption series. If your story is published in either case, I’ll send you a gift to jump-start your next adventure.
Safe and happy travels to all, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Featured image via Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees