Stacking Deals on Paint Supplies — Reader Success Story
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today I want to share a story from TPG reader Neil, who saved on a recent purchase he made for a home improvement project:
My wife and I recently purchased our first home, which had a guest room painted a very bold red that we knew we’d repaint eventually. Quite separately, I was browsing available rewards on my Platinum Card® from American Express using the Nearby Offers feature of the mobile app. I was able to see additional Amex Offers that were not shown in the list view on the mobile app or on the desktop.
One such offer was a $25 credit when spending more than $100 with Sherwin Williams. We had not planned to paint the room immediately, but thought we might as well take advantage of the offer. As I searched the Sherwin Williams website to check my local store’s hours, I saw two more intriguing offers. One was a coupon offering 30% off paints and stains and 20% off painting supplies — perfect! The second was Sherwin Williams’ preferred customer program, which offered me a coupon for $10 off a $50 purchase upon signing up.
Armed with my two coupons and a color selection we made earlier in the week, I headed down to my local store and purchased two gallons of Leisure Blue paint, a paint tray, roller, roller frame and two rolls of blue tape. The pre-tax total would have been about $174, but the two coupons brought the total down near $115. With the Amex Offers credit (which posted about a week later), we spent just over $90, a savings of nearly 50%. Best of all, we’ll be rid of that exceptionally bold red.
One great feature of Amex Offers is that you don’t have to do anything special to redeem them. After adding an offer to your card, you just use it to pay like normal, and your bonus points or statement credit show up automatically once you meet the requirements. That means you can stack offers with other savings and rewards like Neil did, including store coupons, in-store loyalty programs, shopping portal bonuses and more. By combining a variety of deals, he ended up with a substantial discount.
As Neil points out, the Nearby Offers feature can help you find local offers, but it’s not ideal for browsing. The map search often returns a hit for each location of a business — for example, a Starbucks offer might appear at every Starbucks in your area, which means you end up seeing a lot of duplicates. That makes searching for other nearby deals cumbersome, so I only recommend using this method if you’re looking for a particular offer that isn’t showing up in your account elsewhere.
I love this story and I want to hear more like it! In appreciation for sharing this experience (and for allowing me to post it online), I’m sending Neil a $200 airline gift card to enjoy on future travels, and I’d like to do the same for you. Please email your own award travel success stories to email@example.com; be sure to include details about how you earned and redeemed your rewards, and put “Reader Success Story” in the subject line. Feel free to also submit your most woeful travel mistakes, or to contribute to our new award redemption series. If your story is published in either case, I’ll send you a gift to jump-start your next adventure.
Safe and happy travels to all, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Featured image via Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.