Sri Lanka Now Offering Free Visas to 30 Nationalities on Arrival
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sri Lanka will soon offer free visas to visitors from more than 30 nations, which can save the average tourist between $20 to $40 in visa fees.
Travelers can obtain their free visa to the island nation upon arrival at Bandaranaike International Airport (CMB) starting May 1, 2019. Lonely Planet reports that countries with the new free visa access include the US, the UK, the EU, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea and more.
Tourism to Sri Lanka has been on the rise in recent years. Lonely Planet named it the No. 1 destination to visit in 2019, and yearly arrivals in the country have soared from just 448,000 in 2009 to more than 2.1 million in 2017. The Sri Lankan government hopes to double these numbers by 2020.
The island nation, which is located off the southern tip of India, has an abundance of unique and beautiful sites and experiences for visitors to check out. Lori Zaino, a senior writer for TPG, spent a month in Sri Lanka last summer and noted that she specifically enjoyed the beaches in the south and east, the ruins of Polonnaruwa and Anuradhapura, and visiting Kaudulla and Yala National Park for the elephant safaris.
“The elephants are wild,” said Zaino. “Like they roam all around Sigiriya. It’s not like Thailand with elephant ‘tourism.’”
Sri Lanka also is home to one of the most scenic train rides in the world. Check out our review on the phenomenal trip here.
The free visas will be available for a trial run of six months. If the program is successful, the government plans on extending the offer indefinitely.
Featured image by saiko3p / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees