Strange ‘Smelly Socks’ Odor Leads to Spirit Diversion, Aircraft Met by Hazmat Team
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Spirit Airlines flight was diverted and met by a hazmat team on Thursday night after a strange odor developed in one section of the plane.
Spirit Flight 779, traveling from New York (LGA) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL), was diverted to Myrtle Beach (MYR) after an odor, described by passengers as being reminiscent of “dirty socks,” developed in a section of the aircraft. Upon landing at MYR around 10:00pm ET, the A321 was met by rescue and hazmat teams. The hazmat team examined the aircraft but found no hazardous substances.
“The source of the odor is being investigated, and a supplemental aircraft was sent to Myrtle Beach to pick up our guests,” a Spirit spokesperson said in an email. “We apologize for the inconvenience this diversion has caused.”
According to WBTW, 220 passengers were on board, seven to 10 of whom complained of medical issues and were taken to a nearby hospital. Spirit said that flyers who were checked by medical professionals have since been cleared to continue their journey as of Friday morning.
The aircraft operating the flight, N675NK, is just more than one year old, having been delivered to Spirit in May 2017. According to FlightAware, N675NK was expected to depart MYR for FLL at approximately 9:30am ET on Friday.
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.