Strange ‘Smelly Socks’ Odor Leads to Spirit Diversion, Aircraft Met by Hazmat Team
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Spirit Airlines flight was diverted and met by a hazmat team on Thursday night after a strange odor developed in one section of the plane.
Spirit Flight 779, traveling from New York (LGA) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL), was diverted to Myrtle Beach (MYR) after an odor, described by passengers as being reminiscent of “dirty socks,” developed in a section of the aircraft. Upon landing at MYR around 10:00pm ET, the A321 was met by rescue and hazmat teams. The hazmat team examined the aircraft but found no hazardous substances.
“The source of the odor is being investigated, and a supplemental aircraft was sent to Myrtle Beach to pick up our guests,” a Spirit spokesperson said in an email. “We apologize for the inconvenience this diversion has caused.”
According to WBTW, 220 passengers were on board, seven to 10 of whom complained of medical issues and were taken to a nearby hospital. Spirit said that flyers who were checked by medical professionals have since been cleared to continue their journey as of Friday morning.
The aircraft operating the flight, N675NK, is just more than one year old, having been delivered to Spirit in May 2017. According to FlightAware, N675NK was expected to depart MYR for FLL at approximately 9:30am ET on Friday.
Featured image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees