Spirit Airlines to Begin Service From Nashville With Six New Routes
In a fittingly musical press release, Spirit Airlines CEO Ted Christie announced six new routes from Nashville, Tennessee, while hunched over an acoustic guitar. The carrier’s expansion into the Music City includes flights between Nashville and Baltimore; Las Vegas; New Orleans and Florida cities of Fort Lauderdale, Tampa and Orlando.
Spirit’s service on those routes begins Oct. 10, except for the Tampa route, which launches Nov. 5.
Christie cited Nashville’s broad appeal as a tourist destination in detailing Spirit’s decision to add Nashville (BNA) to its network. Christie also touted Nashville’s market as a promising one for Spirit, saying in a statement: “We’re equally excited to bring our new Nashville-area guests to great destinations throughout the US, Latin America, and the Caribbean.”
Spirit’s expansion to Nashville continues a rapid growth spurt for the budget airline, which expanded its flight schedule and added numerous new cities to its route map during the past few years. Other new destinations joining Spirit’s network later this month are Charlotte (CLT), North Carolina, and the California cities Burbank (BUR) and Sacramento (SMF) beginning June 20.
Spirit’s arrival also was welcome news for officials at Nashville’s airport, which has been enjoying healthy growth of its own.
“We appreciate Spirit Airlines’ investment and confidence in our community, and we look forward to a successful collaboration as we grow our airport and generate economic activity for our region,” Doug Kreule, Nashville International Airport CEO, added in the statement.
Spirit, along with Frontier and Allegiant, is one of the nation’s three big “ultra-low-cost-carriers” (ULCCs) that charge extra for nearly everything beyond boarding the aircraft. The fee structure can be confusing for infrequent flyers, but Spirit’s low base fares offer great value for travelers on a budget — especially for those that can travel light.
For our tips on flying Spirit and the Free Spirit rewards program, check out The Points Guy’s guide to the airline here.
Feature Photo by Chris Sloan
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.