Spirit Airlines will add 3 routes to brand-new Honduras airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines is bringing its yellow Airbuses to another city in Honduras.
On Wednesday, the Miramar, Florida-based carrier unveiled a noteworthy expansion in the Central American country with brand-new service to Tegucigalpa. Operations in the Honduras capital will commence on Nov. 17 with three routes to the U.S., including flights to Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Miami (MIA) and Houston (IAH).
Though Miami flights will be operated four times weekly, the other two destinations will be served daily.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
Along with the new route-map pin, Spirit’s also poised to inaugurate the city’s new Palmerola International Airport (XPL). Wednesday’s announcement makes Spirit the first carrier to announce flights to this new airport near Tegucigalpa.
The new commercial airport will replace the currently active Toncontin International Airport (TGU) for all international flights to or from the Tegucigalpa area.
For years, there’s been talk in Honduras about relocating the international airport in Tegucigalpa. Not only is the new airport poised to accelerate growth for the region, but it’ll also be welcome news to pilots worldwide.
The existing Toncontin airport is known for having one of the most challenging arrival approaches in the world, especially during inclement weather. It was even ranked as the second most extreme airport in the world by the History Channel.
Interestingly, Spirit’s choice to serve both Miami and Fort Lauderdale from XPL will pit the carrier against American Airlines, which already operates twice-daily flights to the old Tegucigalpa airport from its fortress hub in Miami.
Of course, Spirit could’ve just chosen to exclusively fly to XPL from its Fort Lauderdale operating base — where it can offer one-stop service to 35 cities in the U.S. — but the airline chose Miami as well, reinforcing that it’s serious about competing in South Florida against American Airlines. In June, the airline announced that it’ll enter Miami with a whopping 30 routes, making it the second-largest carrier once its second tranche of routes launches on Nov. 17.
As for Houston, Spirit will go head-to-head against United, which already operates up to two daily flights to the old Tegucigalpa airport. It’s only a matter of time until we hear from both American and United (and other carriers) about their switchover date to the new Palmerola airport.
Spirit first began service to Honduras in 2007 with flights to San Pedro Sula (SAP) from Fort Lauderdale, and later expanded its reach to include routes to Orlando (MCO) and Houston as well. Just this month, the carrier also added New Orleans to its list of destinations from SAP.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees