Some Marriott Bonvoy Business Amex Cards Offering 45,000-Point Spending Bonuses
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card
When the Marriott and Starwood cards got their recent “Bonvoy” makeovers, we knew that the former SPG Amex Card (now Marriott Bonvoy Amex) would offer a spending bonus to entice existing card members to keep swiping the card during the Bonvoy transition. However, I was surprised to recently discover a spending bonus for my Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card (the old SPG Business Amex).
The spending bonus I received for the Marriott Bonvoy Business Amex effectively bumps the earning power of the card to 3.5 Marriott points per dollar (normally 2 points per dollar) on otherwise non-bonused spending, if I spend $5,000 on the card each calendar month. With Marriott points valued by TPG at 0.8 cents each, that is 2.8 cents in value per dollar charged, which is better than most other cards that are strong for everyday spending. (And these points get me closer to somewhere I want to be like the St. Regis Bahia Beach!)
The offer requires registration by April 7 and awards 7,500 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points each month for six months, up to 45,000 total bonus points. The bonus is awarded on a per-calendar-month basis. Each month that you charge $5,000 on the card, a 7,500-point bonus is awarded, through Oct. 7, 2019.
While this is labeled as an exclusive (i.e., targeted) offer, my account is certainly not the only one included. We have seen other reports of the same offer in the TPG Facebook Group.
To check and see if your Marriott Bonvoy Business Amex is eligible for a spending bonus, log in to your Marriott Bonovy account (not your Amex account) and head to the Promotions tab.
Update: We have received reports of a similar version of this offer that awards 15k bonus pints per month with $10k in spending.
From there, you can click to learn additional details of any potential offers and complete the offer registration. To complete the registration process, you will click through your Marriott account to Amex using your Amex logins when prompted.
Not everything with the Marriott Bonvoy card and program changes has been in our favor, but it hasn’t been all bad either. If one of your Marriott Bonvoy Amex cards has been targeted for a spending bonus, do the math and see if that card might be worth using as your everyday earning card for as long as the bonus is running. While the only form of this bonus we have heard of thus far is for up to 45k points, it is always possible there are other versions out there. Please let us know if you received an offer and whether it is enough to entice you to move the card to ‘front of wallet’.
Keep reading to learn more about the Marriott Bonvoy cards:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
75,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. TPG values 75K Bonvoy points to be worth around $600. Aside from the huge welcome offer you'll earn 1 free night every year after cardmember anniversary and complimentary Marriott Silver Elite status.
- Earn 75,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- 6x points at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
- 4x points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping. 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status with your Card. Plus, earn Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees