SpaceX Officially Gets Its First Space Tourist for Flight Around the Moon
SpaceX officially has its first space tourist, ready and waiting to take flight.
The futuristic company announced on Thursday that the world’s first private passenger to take a trip around the moon has signed on with the company. Just who that person is hasn’t been revealed yet. But, SpaceX plans to announce the person at an event on Monday.
Thursday’s announcement comes after a string of delays for SpaceX. However, the signing on of its first passenger is an indication that the company’s plans to launch a crewed mission into space in 2019 are back on track.
“SpaceX has signed the world’s first private passenger to fly around the Moon aboard our BFR launch vehicle — an important step toward enabling access for everyday people who dream of traveling to space,” the company said in a tweet. “Find out who’s flying and why on Monday, September 17.”
The trip has been a long time coming for the company. SpaceX CEO and Founder Elon Musk said in 2017 that it had been approached by two people who had paid “significant deposits” to be on the first, which was originally planned to take off before the end of 2018, using a Falcon Heavy rocket and Dragon crew capsule. In June, however, those plans were pushed back.
This time around, SpaceX’s intentions are filed under its “Lunar BFR Mission,” using a 350-foot Big Falcon Rocket, or BFR. While the rocket is still under development, it will be able to transport around 100 passengers, according to NBC News.
While we wait to hear just who this space tourist will be, Musk left us all to wonder with a single emoji — that of the Japanese flag…
Featured image by Robyn Beck / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees