SpaceX Officially Gets Its First Space Tourist for Flight Around the Moon
SpaceX officially has its first space tourist, ready and waiting to take flight.
The futuristic company announced on Thursday that the world’s first private passenger to take a trip around the moon has signed on with the company. Just who that person is hasn’t been revealed yet. But, SpaceX plans to announce the person at an event on Monday.
Thursday’s announcement comes after a string of delays for SpaceX. However, the signing on of its first passenger is an indication that the company’s plans to launch a crewed mission into space in 2019 are back on track.
“SpaceX has signed the world’s first private passenger to fly around the Moon aboard our BFR launch vehicle — an important step toward enabling access for everyday people who dream of traveling to space,” the company said in a tweet. “Find out who’s flying and why on Monday, September 17.”
The trip has been a long time coming for the company. SpaceX CEO and Founder Elon Musk said in 2017 that it had been approached by two people who had paid “significant deposits” to be on the first, which was originally planned to take off before the end of 2018, using a Falcon Heavy rocket and Dragon crew capsule. In June, however, those plans were pushed back.
This time around, SpaceX’s intentions are filed under its “Lunar BFR Mission,” using a 350-foot Big Falcon Rocket, or BFR. While the rocket is still under development, it will be able to transport around 100 passengers, according to NBC News.
While we wait to hear just who this space tourist will be, Musk left us all to wonder with a single emoji — that of the Japanese flag…
Featured image by Robyn Beck / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.