Southwest Reveals Its 4 Hawaii Destinations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Thursday, Kelly said that Southwest will launch service to the following four Hawaiian airports: Honolulu International Airport (HNL), Lihue Airport (LIH), Kona International Airport (KOA) and Kahului Airport (OGG).
Kelly didn’t detail in this announcement which continental US cities will service those Hawaiian destinations, but the carrier has said that it will start with operations from California.
While exact routes aren’t yet available, Kelly did say that Southwest will begin selling tickets for its Hawaii flights in 2018, though those routes will not launch until late 2018 or early 2019. Southwest is still waiting to get the proper certification in order to launch service to the 50th state. It must get Extended-range Twin-engine Operational Performance Standards (ETOPs) certification, which could take a year or longer.
Since October’s announcement that it would begin Hawaii flights, there’s been little news as to specific routes and what fares would look like. However, we do know that Southwest’s Hawaii service will launch with its 737-800s before switching to its newest 737 MAX. Southwest confirmed in its earnings report on Thursday that it has come to an agreement with Alaska Airlines to lease 12 slots at New York’s LaGuardia (LGA) and eight slots at Washington Reagan (DCA).
While we wait for more details on Southwest’s Hawaii operations, get caught up on the aircraft that it will soon be flying to Hawaii by reading this review of the 737 MAX 8.
Featured image by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.