Targeted Southwest promotion: Earn up to 12,000 bonus points for flying
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Check your Southwest account! There’s a targeted promotion making the rounds, and it can net you up to 12,000 bonus Southwest points.
Southwest is already a TPG favorite. The airline offers cheap fares to fun destinations like Hawaii, Cancun and Aruba. They also have super customer-friendly policies, like two free checked bags per person and free changes and cancellations up to 10 minutes before takeoff. With this newest promotion, they’re rewarding travelers purchasing Anytime/Business Select fares through March 31, 2020. Here’s what you’ll get:
- Fly one round-trip — 2,000 points
- Fly two round-trips — 4,000 points
- Fly three round-trips — 6,000 points
These points are in addition to the points you’ll earn anyway. Southwest points are worth 1.5 cents each according to TPG’s latest valuations, so 12,000 points (the most you can earn with this promo) is worth about $180 in Southwest airfare.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Travel booked or flown prior to registration for this promotion is not eligible for this offer. However, because Southwest allows travelers to cancel flights for free, you could cancel and re-book your flight after registering.
TPG Senior Reporter Katherine Fan initially discovered the promo in her account, and I’ve got it in my account as well. Here’s what you need to know:
- You must book and complete your travel by March 31, 2020
- Only members who receive this offer are eligible (the promotion is non-transferable)
- You must register before you book your travel
- Only revenue Anytime and Business Select fares qualify for this promotion (flights paid for with points are ineligible)
- You must book round-trip flights. Each round-trip counts as one “qualifying flight”
- Points will deposit within four days of completing your round trip
That’s quite a list of exclusions — but it doesn’t stop there. These bonus points will not count toward the Southwest Companion Pass or any Southwest elite status. If you’re chasing the Companion Pass, you’ll need to look elsewhere to accrue the 125,000 qualifying Southwest points you need.
The personal Southwest credit cards current offer:
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card
You’ll earn 40,000 qualifying Southwest points after meeting spending requirements:
- 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases within the first three months of card membership
Note that you can only have one Southwest personal card at a time. However, you can have both a Southwest personal card and a business card at the same time (the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Credit Card or Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business Credit Card) which makes it easy to earn enough points for the Companion Pass.
Featured photo by Jim Watson/AFP.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.