Southwest Plane Safely Lands With Cracked Cockpit Windshield
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines Flight 718 safely landed in Kansas City Wednesday evening after the cockpit windshield cracked mid-air.
According to the airline, the left outer windowpane of the cockpit cracked as the plane descended into Kansas City International Airport (MCI) just after 6:30pm. The plane was taken out of service for a routine window repair after deplaning all 117 people on board. The flight originated from Reagan International Airport (DCA) in Washington, DC, and arrived on time, according to FlightStats.com.
Southwest has encountered a number of technical issues regarding its planes this year. Earlier this month, the airline abruptly grounded 34 planes that were found to be out of compliance with FAA regulations. The most notorious mishap Southwest experienced this year was another incident involving plane glass shattering mid-air after an engine part hit a passenger window, which resulted in the airline’s first onboard fatality in its nearly 50-year history.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees