Southwest Plane Collides With Ground Equipment in Intense Winds at Denver Airport
A Southwest Boeing 737 MAX 8 collided with ground equipment at Denver International Airport (DEN) after landing on Monday afternoon due to heavy winds in the area.
Southwest Flight 203 coming from Baltimore (BWI) landed on time, but was caught in the strong winds. Denver airport officials were warning passengers of potential flight delays due to the gusts.
— Denver Int’l Airport (@DENAirport) January 7, 2019
According to USA Today, a Southwest spokeswoman said all passengers safely exited the plane without injury, and it is unclear what part of the aircraft experienced the damage. TPG contacted Southwest for more details, but did not hear back in time of publication.
Denver weather reports indicated that the high winds would reach up to 60-100 mph on Monday and would die down in the evening. According to Flight Aware, a flight tracking service, gusts of winds were reaching between 21 to 40 KT, or 24 to 46 mph at the Denver airport.
Although it may be frightening to have your flight end on a bumpy note, pilots are trained for these types of landings and you really don’t need to worry.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.