Southwest Plane Collides With Ground Equipment in Intense Winds at Denver Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest Boeing 737 MAX 8 collided with ground equipment at Denver International Airport (DEN) after landing on Monday afternoon due to heavy winds in the area.
Southwest Flight 203 coming from Baltimore (BWI) landed on time, but was caught in the strong winds. Denver airport officials were warning passengers of potential flight delays due to the gusts.
— Denver Int’l Airport (@DENAirport) January 7, 2019
According to USA Today, a Southwest spokeswoman said all passengers safely exited the plane without injury, and it is unclear what part of the aircraft experienced the damage. TPG contacted Southwest for more details, but did not hear back in time of publication.
Denver weather reports indicated that the high winds would reach up to 60-100 mph on Monday and would die down in the evening. According to Flight Aware, a flight tracking service, gusts of winds were reaching between 21 to 40 KT, or 24 to 46 mph at the Denver airport.
Although it may be frightening to have your flight end on a bumpy note, pilots are trained for these types of landings and you really don’t need to worry.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees