Hazmat Team Finds That Unknown Substance on Southwest Flight Was Tissue Box Fibers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest plane was swept by a hazmat team at Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) Monday night after an unknown substance was discovered in the aircraft lavatory. The substance ended up being innocuous paper fibers from a tissue box.
After the substance was discovered mid-flight, passengers on flight 239 from San Antonio (SAT) were deplaned after a safe landing at BWI, and the local law enforcement teams were brought in to investigate the substance, along with a hazmat team, out of what Southwest said was “an abundance of caution.”
The Baltimore airport tweeted about the incident, noting that the all clear was given after authorities swept the plane.
#BWI Fire and Rescue Department @BWIFire and other authorities investigated unknown substance on board an aircraft that had arrived at airport. Testing indicated there was no hazard. The scene was secured.
— BWI Marshall Airport (@BWI_Airport) October 30, 2018
Southwest says the plane was “cleared and returned to service.”
“Flight #239 with scheduled service from San Antonio to Baltimore/Washington landed safely Monday night as scheduled,” a representative for the carrier told TPG. “Local authorities met the aircraft to look into a then-unknown substance in one of the lavatories… they determined it was paper fibers from a tissue box. The aircraft was then cleared to return to service. ”
Featured image by Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.