This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest plane was swept by a hazmat team at Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) Monday night after an unknown substance was discovered in the aircraft lavatory. The substance ended up being innocuous paper fibers from a tissue box.
After the substance was discovered mid-flight, passengers on flight 239 from San Antonio (SAT) were deplaned after a safe landing at BWI, and the local law enforcement teams were brought in to investigate the substance, along with a hazmat team, out of what Southwest said was “an abundance of caution.”
The Baltimore airport tweeted about the incident, noting that the all clear was given after authorities swept the plane.
#BWI Fire and Rescue Department @BWIFire and other authorities investigated unknown substance on board an aircraft that had arrived at airport. Testing indicated there was no hazard. The scene was secured.
— BWI Marshall Airport (@BWI_Airport) October 30, 2018
Southwest says the plane was “cleared and returned to service.”
“Flight #239 with scheduled service from San Antonio to Baltimore/Washington landed safely Monday night as scheduled,” a representative for the carrier told TPG. “Local authorities met the aircraft to look into a then-unknown substance in one of the lavatories… they determined it was paper fibers from a tissue box. The aircraft was then cleared to return to service. ”
Featured image by Shutterstock.com.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees