This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest plane was swept by a hazmat team at Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) Monday night after an unknown substance was discovered in the aircraft lavatory. The substance ended up being innocuous paper fibers from a tissue box.
After the substance was discovered mid-flight, passengers on flight 239 from San Antonio (SAT) were deplaned after a safe landing at BWI, and the local law enforcement teams were brought in to investigate the substance, along with a hazmat team, out of what Southwest said was “an abundance of caution.”
The Baltimore airport tweeted about the incident, noting that the all clear was given after authorities swept the plane.
#BWI Fire and Rescue Department @BWIFire and other authorities investigated unknown substance on board an aircraft that had arrived at airport. Testing indicated there was no hazard. The scene was secured.
— BWI Marshall Airport (@BWI_Airport) October 30, 2018
Southwest says the plane was “cleared and returned to service.”
“Flight #239 with scheduled service from San Antonio to Baltimore/Washington landed safely Monday night as scheduled,” a representative for the carrier told TPG. “Local authorities met the aircraft to look into a then-unknown substance in one of the lavatories… they determined it was paper fibers from a tissue box. The aircraft was then cleared to return to service. ”
Featured image by Shutterstock.com.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees