Hazmat Team Finds That Unknown Substance on Southwest Flight Was Tissue Box Fibers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest plane was swept by a hazmat team at Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) Monday night after an unknown substance was discovered in the aircraft lavatory. The substance ended up being innocuous paper fibers from a tissue box.
After the substance was discovered mid-flight, passengers on flight 239 from San Antonio (SAT) were deplaned after a safe landing at BWI, and the local law enforcement teams were brought in to investigate the substance, along with a hazmat team, out of what Southwest said was “an abundance of caution.”
The Baltimore airport tweeted about the incident, noting that the all clear was given after authorities swept the plane.
#BWI Fire and Rescue Department @BWIFire and other authorities investigated unknown substance on board an aircraft that had arrived at airport. Testing indicated there was no hazard. The scene was secured.
— BWI Marshall Airport (@BWI_Airport) October 30, 2018
Southwest says the plane was “cleared and returned to service.”
“Flight #239 with scheduled service from San Antonio to Baltimore/Washington landed safely Monday night as scheduled,” a representative for the carrier told TPG. “Local authorities met the aircraft to look into a then-unknown substance in one of the lavatories… they determined it was paper fibers from a tissue box. The aircraft was then cleared to return to service. ”
Featured image by Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees