Listen to the Conversation Between ATC and Southwest Pilot Before Emergency Landing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tuesday’s incident involving a Southwest 737’s engine failing, requiring an emergency landing at Philadelphia (PHL) left one passenger dead and seven injured. After taking off from New York’s LaGuardia (LGA), bound for Dallas (DAL), Southwest Flight 1380 experienced an engine issue, sending shrapnel toward the fuselage and shattering a window, partially sucking a passenger outside.
The flight’s pilot, Tammie Jo Shults, a Navy veteran, handled the landing of the aircraft at PHL, where it was met by emergency crews. Now, recording of the communication between Shults and PHL Air Traffic Control has been released. In it, you can hear Shults extreme calm nature, even when describing that “there is a hole and someone went out.”
Both Shults and Air Traffic Control remained calm through the duration of the conversation. The experience fits the narrative that several passengers on board said that crew seemed like they knew what they were doing and remained incredibly calm.
Since the aircraft landed on Tuesday, the NTSB released its preliminary findings that the engine showed “metal fatigue.”
Featured image by Mario Gutiérrez / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.