Listen to the Conversation Between ATC and Southwest Pilot Before Emergency Landing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Tuesday’s incident involving a Southwest 737’s engine failing, requiring an emergency landing at Philadelphia (PHL) left one passenger dead and seven injured. After taking off from New York’s LaGuardia (LGA), bound for Dallas (DAL), Southwest Flight 1380 experienced an engine issue, sending shrapnel toward the fuselage and shattering a window, partially sucking a passenger outside.
The flight’s pilot, Tammie Jo Shults, a Navy veteran, handled the landing of the aircraft at PHL, where it was met by emergency crews. Now, recording of the communication between Shults and PHL Air Traffic Control has been released. In it, you can hear Shults extreme calm nature, even when describing that “there is a hole and someone went out.”
Both Shults and Air Traffic Control remained calm through the duration of the conversation. The experience fits the narrative that several passengers on board said that crew seemed like they knew what they were doing and remained incredibly calm.
Since the aircraft landed on Tuesday, the NTSB released its preliminary findings that the engine showed “metal fatigue.”
Featured image by Mario Gutiérrez / Getty Images.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee