Southwest Airlines flyers can now get a COVID-19 test in the mail before travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve traveled abroad in the last year, you’re likely familiar with the testing mandate that all travelers need to show proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken one day before flying back to the U.S.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
The Dallas-based airline announced it’s partnering with the testing company CityHealth to mail out COVID-19 tests to international passengers. The test is approved by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for travel purposes. The kit normally costs $75, but Southwest passengers can lock in a discounted rate of $50 per test.
“Since it was launched, the RapidReturn kit has been one of our most popular [COVID-19] testing options,” Sean Parkin, CityHealth’s CEO, said in a statement. “We’re thrilled to be working with Southwest Airlines to offer their passengers an easy, accurate, affordable and convenient way to return home safely. The quick return of results will help Southwest passengers stay in compliance with the new one-day testing rule.”
Travelers can order their RapidReturn test kit directly through the CityHealth website. Test kits are shipped Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. PST and tests ordered after 3 p.m. PST on Friday will be shipped Monday. That means if you have a weekend trip planned, you may want to order your test kit early in the week.
According to the company, travelers can pack their test kits before travel and use a secure portal when it’s time to test. The results will be available in the portal and are approved for flights back to the U.S.
The CDC accepts a handful of at-home tests for use by inbound passengers, such as Abbott’s BinaxNow COVID-19 Home Test and Qured’s video-supervised rapid antigen test. So, there are other at-home options if you need a COVID-19 test for a flight back to the U.S. Just make sure to order your test with enough time for shipping.
Featured photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees