This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest Airlines flight from Oakland, California (OAK), to Burbank, California (BUR), slid off the end of the runway Thursday morning.
Initial reports of the incident indicated that it was raining at Hollywood Burbank Airport when the flight landed at 9:03am. The Boeing 737 reportedly slid and came to rest in an area just off the runway. It reportedly did not hit anything.
NEW: Southwest Airlines Flight from Oakland to Burbank that landed 9:03 a.m. in rain ended up in EMAS -Engineered Material Arresting System at the end of the runway per officials. The EMAS slowed the plane down and brought it to a stop. It did not hit anything,
— Andrew Blankstein (@anblanx) December 6, 2018
“Initial reports indicate that Southwest airlines flight 278 from Oakland to Burbank came to a stop at the end of the runway upon arrival into Burbank,” an airline spokesperson told TPG in an email. “There are no reports of injuries among our 112 Customers and five Crewmembers. We are working to get additional details.”
Unconfirmed photos from BUR appear to show the aircraft inside the engineered material arresting system (EMAS), a bed of engineered materials at the end of the runway designed to help prevent major damage in the case of a runway excursion.
View this post on Instagram
The FAA’s preliminary statement said that the aircraft did indeed come to a rest in the EMAS.
Runway 8, the one that the Southwest plane reportedly skidded off of, was shut down following the incident, the airport tweeted. But parts of the airport remained operational.
Hollywood Burbank Airport remains open. Terminal B, Terminal A Gates A1-A5, and Runway 15/33 are operational. Runway 8/26 has been closed.
— Hollywood Burbank ✈️ (@fly_BUR) December 6, 2018
On Wednesday, the airport had tweeted that “inclement weather” in the region might “affect flights at Hollywood Burbank Airport.” But as of Thursday, BUR repeatedly tweeted that the airport was open and operational.
Inclement weather in parts of California may affect flights at Hollywood Burbank Airport. Please check your flight status with your airline. pic.twitter.com/XqqTUutt7D
— Hollywood Burbank ✈️ (@fly_BUR) December 5, 2018
The FAA said that there were no injuries in the incident, the local ABC News affiliate tweeted.
Featured image of Hollywood Burbank Airport by Stuart Bowling via Twitter.
*This post has been updated with Southwest’s comment to TPG.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards