Southwest Aircraft Rolls off Runway at California Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest Airlines flight from Oakland, California (OAK), to Burbank, California (BUR), slid off the end of the runway Thursday morning.
Initial reports of the incident indicated that it was raining at Hollywood Burbank Airport when the flight landed at 9:03am. The Boeing 737 reportedly slid and came to rest in an area just off the runway. It reportedly did not hit anything.
NEW: Southwest Airlines Flight from Oakland to Burbank that landed 9:03 a.m. in rain ended up in EMAS -Engineered Material Arresting System at the end of the runway per officials. The EMAS slowed the plane down and brought it to a stop. It did not hit anything,
— Andrew Blankstein (@anblanx) December 6, 2018
“Initial reports indicate that Southwest airlines flight 278 from Oakland to Burbank came to a stop at the end of the runway upon arrival into Burbank,” an airline spokesperson told TPG in an email. “There are no reports of injuries among our 112 Customers and five Crewmembers. We are working to get additional details.”
Unconfirmed photos from BUR appear to show the aircraft inside the engineered material arresting system (EMAS), a bed of engineered materials at the end of the runway designed to help prevent major damage in the case of a runway excursion.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by petenicks (@petenicks) on
The FAA’s preliminary statement said that the aircraft did indeed come to a rest in the EMAS.
Runway 8, the one that the Southwest plane reportedly skidded off of, was shut down following the incident, the airport tweeted. But parts of the airport remained operational.
Hollywood Burbank Airport remains open. Terminal B, Terminal A Gates A1-A5, and Runway 15/33 are operational. Runway 8/26 has been closed.
— Hollywood Burbank ✈️ (@fly_BUR) December 6, 2018
On Wednesday, the airport had tweeted that “inclement weather” in the region might “affect flights at Hollywood Burbank Airport.” But as of Thursday, BUR repeatedly tweeted that the airport was open and operational.
Inclement weather in parts of California may affect flights at Hollywood Burbank Airport. Please check your flight status with your airline. pic.twitter.com/XqqTUutt7D
— Hollywood Burbank ✈️ (@fly_BUR) December 5, 2018
The FAA said that there were no injuries in the incident, the local ABC News affiliate tweeted.
Featured image of Hollywood Burbank Airport by Stuart Bowling via Twitter.
*This post has been updated with Southwest’s comment to TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.