Southwest Aircraft Rolls off Runway at California Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest Airlines flight from Oakland, California (OAK), to Burbank, California (BUR), slid off the end of the runway Thursday morning.
Initial reports of the incident indicated that it was raining at Hollywood Burbank Airport when the flight landed at 9:03am. The Boeing 737 reportedly slid and came to rest in an area just off the runway. It reportedly did not hit anything.
NEW: Southwest Airlines Flight from Oakland to Burbank that landed 9:03 a.m. in rain ended up in EMAS -Engineered Material Arresting System at the end of the runway per officials. The EMAS slowed the plane down and brought it to a stop. It did not hit anything,
— Andrew Blankstein (@anblanx) December 6, 2018
“Initial reports indicate that Southwest airlines flight 278 from Oakland to Burbank came to a stop at the end of the runway upon arrival into Burbank,” an airline spokesperson told TPG in an email. “There are no reports of injuries among our 112 Customers and five Crewmembers. We are working to get additional details.”
Unconfirmed photos from BUR appear to show the aircraft inside the engineered material arresting system (EMAS), a bed of engineered materials at the end of the runway designed to help prevent major damage in the case of a runway excursion.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by petenicks (@petenicks) on
The FAA’s preliminary statement said that the aircraft did indeed come to a rest in the EMAS.
Runway 8, the one that the Southwest plane reportedly skidded off of, was shut down following the incident, the airport tweeted. But parts of the airport remained operational.
Hollywood Burbank Airport remains open. Terminal B, Terminal A Gates A1-A5, and Runway 15/33 are operational. Runway 8/26 has been closed.
— Hollywood Burbank ✈️ (@fly_BUR) December 6, 2018
On Wednesday, the airport had tweeted that “inclement weather” in the region might “affect flights at Hollywood Burbank Airport.” But as of Thursday, BUR repeatedly tweeted that the airport was open and operational.
Inclement weather in parts of California may affect flights at Hollywood Burbank Airport. Please check your flight status with your airline. pic.twitter.com/XqqTUutt7D
— Hollywood Burbank ✈️ (@fly_BUR) December 5, 2018
The FAA said that there were no injuries in the incident, the local ABC News affiliate tweeted.
Featured image of Hollywood Burbank Airport by Stuart Bowling via Twitter.
*This post has been updated with Southwest’s comment to TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees