Southwest Flight 1380 Passengers and Crew Meet President Trump in Oval Office
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The crew of Southwest Flight 1380, which had one fatality after its engine exploded in April, met with President Donald Trump on Tuesday in the Oval Office.
The flight’s crew, and especially its pilot Captain Tammie Jo Shults, have been lauded since the incident for keeping their composure under pressure and safely landing the aircraft during a cabin depressurization and a medical emergency on board.
“Tammie did an incredible job,” Trump said from behind the Resolute desk in the Oval Office. He also commended her for her “life-saving job” in landing the plane safely.
The president also thanked First Officer Darren Ellisor and the flight’s cabin crew for “displaying exemplary leadership” during the emergency landing and doing a “fantastic job.”
“You were a little bit nervous up there?” Trump asked the flight attendants, Rachel Fernheimer, Seanique Mallory and Kathryn Sandoval.
“Not at all,” they responded.
“That’s a fantastic job,” Trump told them. “They said you were calm, and cool and strong. Thank you very much.”
— Doug Mills (@dougmillsnyt) May 1, 2018
Several of Flight 1380’s passengers also met Trump at the White House. Trump thanked Tim and Kristin McGinty, Stephanie and Andrew Needum and Peggy Philips for risking their safety to pull Jennifer Riordan, the sole fatality, back into the plane and administer CPR. “These Americans responded with tremendous bravery,” the president said. “Your bravery, your compassion, we really appreciate it,” he told the passengers.
Trump also addressed the victim of the flight’s engine explosion. “Our hearts break for the family of the passenger who tragically lost her life, Jennifer Riordan,” he said. “We send our prayers to Jennifer’s husband and their two beautiful young children. We ask God to hold this family close as they grieve the loss of a loving wife and mother.”
President Trump ended the meeting telling the group “It is really an honor to meet you all.”
Watch the full video below:
— TicToc by Bloomberg (@tictoc) May 1, 2018
Featured image via Doug Mills (@dougmillsnyt) on Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees