This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The crew of Southwest Flight 1380, which had one fatality after its engine exploded in April, met with President Donald Trump on Tuesday in the Oval Office.
The flight’s crew, and especially its pilot Captain Tammie Jo Shults, have been lauded since the incident for keeping their composure under pressure and safely landing the aircraft during a cabin depressurization and a medical emergency on board.
“Tammie did an incredible job,” Trump said from behind the Resolute desk in the Oval Office. He also commended her for her “life-saving job” in landing the plane safely.
The president also thanked First Officer Darren Ellisor and the flight’s cabin crew for “displaying exemplary leadership” during the emergency landing and doing a “fantastic job.”
“You were a little bit nervous up there?” Trump asked the flight attendants, Rachel Fernheimer, Seanique Mallory and Kathryn Sandoval.
“Not at all,” they responded.
“That’s a fantastic job,” Trump told them. “They said you were calm, and cool and strong. Thank you very much.”
— Doug Mills (@dougmillsnyt) May 1, 2018
Several of Flight 1380’s passengers also met Trump at the White House. Trump thanked Tim and Kristin McGinty, Stephanie and Andrew Needum and Peggy Philips for risking their safety to pull Jennifer Riordan, the sole fatality, back into the plane and administer CPR. “These Americans responded with tremendous bravery,” the president said. “Your bravery, your compassion, we really appreciate it,” he told the passengers.
Trump also addressed the victim of the flight’s engine explosion. “Our hearts break for the family of the passenger who tragically lost her life, Jennifer Riordan,” he said. “We send our prayers to Jennifer’s husband and their two beautiful young children. We ask God to hold this family close as they grieve the loss of a loving wife and mother.”
President Trump ended the meeting telling the group “It is really an honor to meet you all.”
Watch the full video below:
— TicToc by Bloomberg (@tictoc) May 1, 2018
Featured image via Doug Mills (@dougmillsnyt) on Twitter.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees