Southwest Flight 1380 Passengers and Crew Meet President Trump in Oval Office
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The crew of Southwest Flight 1380, which had one fatality after its engine exploded in April, met with President Donald Trump on Tuesday in the Oval Office.
The flight’s crew, and especially its pilot Captain Tammie Jo Shults, have been lauded since the incident for keeping their composure under pressure and safely landing the aircraft during a cabin depressurization and a medical emergency on board.
“Tammie did an incredible job,” Trump said from behind the Resolute desk in the Oval Office. He also commended her for her “life-saving job” in landing the plane safely.
The president also thanked First Officer Darren Ellisor and the flight’s cabin crew for “displaying exemplary leadership” during the emergency landing and doing a “fantastic job.”
“You were a little bit nervous up there?” Trump asked the flight attendants, Rachel Fernheimer, Seanique Mallory and Kathryn Sandoval.
“Not at all,” they responded.
“That’s a fantastic job,” Trump told them. “They said you were calm, and cool and strong. Thank you very much.”
— Doug Mills (@dougmillsnyt) May 1, 2018
Several of Flight 1380’s passengers also met Trump at the White House. Trump thanked Tim and Kristin McGinty, Stephanie and Andrew Needum and Peggy Philips for risking their safety to pull Jennifer Riordan, the sole fatality, back into the plane and administer CPR. “These Americans responded with tremendous bravery,” the president said. “Your bravery, your compassion, we really appreciate it,” he told the passengers.
Trump also addressed the victim of the flight’s engine explosion. “Our hearts break for the family of the passenger who tragically lost her life, Jennifer Riordan,” he said. “We send our prayers to Jennifer’s husband and their two beautiful young children. We ask God to hold this family close as they grieve the loss of a loving wife and mother.”
President Trump ended the meeting telling the group “It is really an honor to meet you all.”
Watch the full video below:
— TicToc by Bloomberg (@tictoc) May 1, 2018
Featured image via Doug Mills (@dougmillsnyt) on Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.