South Korea startup Air Premia orders Boeing 787s with California in mind
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Premia, a new South Korean airline that plans to start service next year, has reached a deal to purchase five Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners. That order follows a deal Air Premia reached earlier this year to lease three 787s from Air Lease Corporation.
The airline hopes to begin flying in 2020, operating a base at Seoul Incheon (ICN). Initially, Air Premia expects to fly regional routes within Asia. But Air Premia already has U.S. destinations on its radar, saying it hopes to begin flying from South Korea to both Los Angeles and San Jose in California “by 2021.”
“We are honored to welcome Air Premia as Boeing’s newest customer. As new entrants in Asia continue to launch innovative business models and strategies for growth, we are excited that Air Premia have selected the 787-9 Dreamliner to power their future fleet,” Ihssane Mounir, senior vice president of commercial sales and marketing at Boeing, said in a statement. “The super-efficient 787-9 is a perfect fit for this new hybrid airline.”
The tentative commitment carries a list value of $1.4 billion, though airlines typically receive steeps discounts.
Air Premia has not yet specified how it might outfit its 787-9s, which Boeing notes can seat 296 passengers in a “standard” configuration. The aircraft has a range of about 8,400 miles.
“This is an exciting decision for Air Premia as we look to deliver a world-class experience to our customers, while also operating the most fuel efficient fleet,” Air Premia CEO Peter Sim added in the statement. “With the 787-9’s superior fuel efficiency and range capabilities, this investment fits perfectly with our unique business model and will position Air Premia for sustainable long-term growth.”
Though it’s unclear what the competitive landscape might look like by the time Air Premia begins U.S. service, there are currently two carriers — Korean Air and Asiana —that fly nonstop between Seoul and Los Angeles. No airlines currently fly nonstop between San Jose and Seoul.
Featured image courtesy of Boeing.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees